Miracle Gro potting mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Planterjonas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to tear down my 5 gallon tank and restart. I was thinking of using Miracle gro organic potting mix and capped of with Floramax substrate. My dad is also an aquarium hobbyist but thinks that the dirt could kill my fish or mess up my tank (he's a biologist). So is this miracle gro potting mix going to harm any of my fish? Will there be anything to expect after using dirt? Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks :)

A lot of planted tank owners use the Miracle Grow Organic potting soil in their tanks. I am getting ready to try it in a gallon jar plant tank I am doing. As long as it is the organic stuff and doesn't have added fertilizers, it is fine. Do a search on here and you will find lots of tanks with it in them.

Using Miracle Gro

I am going to tear down my 5 gallon tank and restart. I was thinking of using Miracle gro organic potting mix and capped of with Floramax substrate. My dad is also an aquarium hobbyist but thinks that the dirt could kill my fish or mess up my tank (he's a biologist). So is this miracle gro potting mix going to harm any of my fish? Will there be anything to expect after using dirt? Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks :)

Hello Plant...

I've used the organic version of Miracle Gro in my planted tanks. My fish were unaffected and the plants did pretty well with it. Like anything else, it doesn't last indefinitely. The organic material will feed the plants for about 6 months. Be care using it, it can be extremely messy.

B

I've done dirted tanks for years and used soil in my ponds for years also and can tell you as long as you use Organic Potting Soil, regardless of brand it is safe for fish. Miracle Grow Organic Soil actually doesn't leach as much tannins as some other brands like the Just Natural Organic Potting Soil I use from Lowes so it's not that big of an issue to deal with. In a small tank I would add 1" of the MGOPS, moisten it well and compact it, add about 1-1/2" of cap, then fill the tank and turn on the filter. The next day do about a 60% WC, plant heavily, the refill, add Purgen or Carbon to the filter and you won't have much tannins if any visable in the water once the chemical filtration is in the tank long enough to start working.

It's not messy if you go slowly and plant carefully. Usually you can plant in the cap and just let roots grow down to the dirt. Right now my biggest dirted tank is 220g 100% planted and it's been running a couple of years.

Ok thanks guys for the info I might use the miracle gro or ecocomplete I debating it though.

All my tanks are either dirted with an Eco complete cap or are just Eco complete only. Both works very well for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom