Missing fish mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gal community tank with the following type of fish:
Guppies
White Clouds
Angle Fish
Dwarf Gouramis
Cory Cats
Snails

Over the last several months I lost 4 Cory Cats, about 5 Guppies and 5 White Clouds. When I say lost, they just disappeared without a trace. All my parameters are good, no disease. As you can see I don't have any aggressive fish and I don't think I have anything that could dispose of the body in very short time. I've never seen any part of a dead fish body. The larger fish, 2 Angles and 2 Gouramis are fine. Any idea what going on?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish are notorious for being aggressive, especially bigger ones. They grow to be huge and eat any smaller fish that will fit in their mouths. To be fair, personality matters but most Angels can get to be big bullies. They might've taken a bite and the snails and other fish took care of the remains overnight

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The angles are not big enough to eat any of the other fish. One's more aggressive than the other, but I've only seen it chase and nip at the other Angle, but not do any real damage. Assuming the snails and other fish could devour a fish over night, if this happening it wouldn't always be at night and I've never seen any activity like this during the 10 hours the lights are one. Other thoughts?

Ive had fish go missing without a trace too. My guess for mine was it got partially eaten then sucked up by the filter and degraded before i changed it or cleaned it. Or if you have rocks like i had when my fish went missing is it was partially eaten then sank into the rocks and degraded there.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

I have a 50 gal community tank with the following type of fish:
Guppies
White Clouds
Angle Fish
Dwarf Gouramis
Cory Cats
Snails

Over the last several months I lost 4 Cory Cats, about 5 Guppies and 5 White Clouds. When I say lost, they just disappeared without a trace. All my parameters are good, no disease. As you can see I don't have any aggressive fish and I don't think I have anything that could dispose of the body in very short time. I've never seen any part of a dead fish body. The larger fish, 2 Angles and 2 Gouramis are fine. Any idea what going on?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah check your gravel for missing fish. I found a guppie and I have almost the same type of fish.

When I do my weekly water change I vaccuum at least an inch down so if there was something in the gravel I should have seen it. Tomorrow's my weekly water change so I'll pay closer attention to this.

Back
Top Bottom