Missing Glofish...Nobody's Talking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kshea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 35 gal with 3 goldfish, 3 tetras, a pleco, and last night there were 6 glo fish. This morning all are gone except 1. I have had the tank set up like this for about a month and last night I put a new glo fish in there. The new one plus the rest are gone. Would the goldfish or pleco do this. I'm very confused.......HELP .

Did you check the carpet? The goldfish would be big enough to eat them or if the pleco doesn't have enough algae he might have tried to suck the slime coat off and ended up eating the whole fish.

Thankyou for replying! One goldfish might be big enough but why all of a sudden and 5 at once???? It seems more plausable that I would see one gone every week unless my goldfish snapped and went on a crazy feeding frenzy. There are no remnants of any killing spree anywhere? Because there is 1 glo fish left, do I get him more buddies because he is a schooling fish or stake out the tank tonight?

The goldfish arent talking because there mouths are full ;).

I wonder if you could turn all the lights out and there stomachs would glow...

Perhaps the goldfish found out it could eat one, then decided more would be better.

Check around your tank they could have jumped unlikely but possible.

The glo fish that I purchased yesterday was a lot smaller than the rest so I can see the theory If I can eat one, why not eat them all. (Carpet has cleared dead fish test) I'm new to this and I recently aquired 2 tanks. School was closing its science lab so I'm not sure what fish I have in one tank. Can I put the one glofish in with the other tank with little fantail fish or they need there own school.

Did you look in your filter? It's possible they may have liked the current and swam "uphill" into the filter, if you have a HOB filter....longshot but worth checking, I've had it happen before, and danios are surface fish that like current, and are good jumpers.

I've been keeping a close eye on Mr.Bubbles (3inch goldfish and he's looking pretty guilty. The last little glo fish has been hiding in the tunnel with the pleco all morning and when I watched him swim out the goldfish gave chase so now he sits in a fish bowl until I can figure out what to do. I like the glo fish but I'm not going to feed them to my goldfish at 6 bucks a pop. Is it saftely in large numbers or do I need another tank for the carnivorous goldfish....

With a 35 gallon tank... the goldfish will need a new tank anyway eventually. They just get bigger than that.

Back
Top Bottom