Missing Odessa Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have recently (2-3 weeks ago) added odessa barbs to my 50gal tank. I originally got 4 - 2 males and 2 females - then went back and got another pair. Shortly after I added the last 2, one of the original females disappeared. No body, no sickness beforehand, nothing. Just gone. It was about a week after she'd been added at this point so I assumed she had not made the transition (though it seemed odd, as she was perfectly healthy and happy). Now, I have just noticed one of the original males missing too. Again, no sickness and no body. Healthy, then gone. It's almost like they've jumped out or something. Is there anything specific about barbs that would lead them to die with no warning? Are they known to jump? I want to get another pair to replace the missing ones, but am worried there's something going on.

Yes. I had thought of that too. The tank is hooded, and 3/4 is covered with glass, but the lid doesn't fit over the section where all the plumbing is, so it's open.

I would ask how big were the barbs and what other fish were in the tank. I lost a 3 neons two months ago and never found the bodies- the other fish made short work of them. Once I lost a platy and only found his skeleton (it was gross) but fish scavenge and can eat up a dead fish awfully quickly.

Other tankmakes can be a reason why you have no bodies. If the fish died the other fish may have eaten them. Or they jumped from the tank and your cats got to them. Either is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom