Missing RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed that 3/5 rcs are missing. U haven't seen them in about a week. I took apart my filter and looked all over. They are not anywhere in my tank and I always have a lid on my tank. I have things blocking the filter so the shrimp wouldn't be able to get in.. Anybody know maybe what happened? I just can't see them anywhere

Sent from my iPhone

Same boat lol
My guess I'd they are tiny and his like pros

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine weren't full grown but they weren't really young... Just finished a bunch of tank work and never saw them.. ;( bye, bye $9 worth of shrimp..

Sent from my iPhone

Put some algae wafers in and you might be able to see them because they will hide when they molt and if you didn't have a sponge filter the filter might of shredded them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did, only saw the two. And I have the filter that comes with a fluval spec. It's tight up against the sides and they could only get below or above it and they weren't there

Sent from my iPhone

What kind of fish are in the tank ? Most fish will eat RCS. They do best in in their own tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I put the bag into my tank my baby angel went nuts at the bag until he realized he couldnt get them. Once they were in the tank though he didnt care about them. I think he just thought it was feeding time and after he got fed he was very meh about them.

I see mine from time to time in my java moss. I used to see one under the moss ball, but I think they honestly have figured out how to get into it and hide there.

They are probably there and you just dont catch them.
Go down in a low light situation and just scope the tank. Its the only time I can see them.

Mine are only about the size of my pinky nail so I can understand their hesitation.

Put some algae wafers in and you might be able to see them because they will hide when they molt and if you didn't have a sponge filter the filter might of shredded them

Ive been wanting to put a sponge over the end of my whisper filter intake. Have any idea where I can get or make a filter sponger to go over that?Ive actually been wanting to make a 2 part filter cover that would suck in debris but not let it go into the filter itself so I could just pull the end of my intake off and wash it out.

I have big dreams. Im actually looking into building a canister filter anyway so poo on that idea.

What size is the tank ?
Neons should usually be in groups of 6+ in 20g or larger.

Same for most Cories. 6 or more recommended. They are super social. Smooth sand bottom is best.

There are 3 pygmy type Cories, but most people don't find them as easily.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 5 gallon. And I know I had 6 before and half died when something happened to my big tank. I moved these three to the small tank until the shrimp start breeding. And I didn't know cories should be in schools until after I bought mine.. Idk if it's a Pygmy or not but its about an invh

Sent from my iPhone

The link for the filter sponges doesn't work..

Sent from my iPhone

I have about 15 ghost shrimp in my 75G community tank with 7 Rasboras, 6 mollies, 3 angels, a couple guppies, a couple algae eaters, and a small pleco. The tank is fairly heavily planted and they remain hidden most of the time. I'll see a few roaming about at the most from time to time. Once I tried putting a ghost shrimp into the 5G with 7 small neon tetras... poor thing had to climb under some hornwort and hide as they went into a hunting pasck as soon as they smelled a newcomer! They tried attacking it and I had to rescue it and return it to the main tank!

My neon tetras don't even go down low or look at the shrimp. All they care about is when they hear me rapping on the tank dumping in their dinner or little snacks because they enjoy having snacks!

Sent from my iPhone

I have a fluval spec 5 gallon don't think that will work

Sent from my iPhone

I have a fluval spec 5 gallon don't think that will work

Sent from my iPhone

If that is the one with the grid intake near the top and the smaller on near the bottom, then try (aquarium safe) window screen. Can't really tell you how to make it stay in place but I've seen pics on folks using it in Fluval spec V with shrimp. You may have to plug the lower hole with floss. The screen will keep out the smaller shrimp but newborns might pass right through.
Btw here is the aforementioned link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LL32RY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bC8wub1HRS4ED

Back
Top Bottom