mission save sharky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alLexX said:
yes,6 black skirts,9 danios,3 swordtails,the cichlids,and the shark.

i would add them like this:the swordtails,wait a couple days and add the cichlids,wait 2 weeks,ad danios and skirts,wait a week,add shark,is this OK? also,could i add 2-3 dojo loaches? i saw them at my LFS and really like them. if i did get theem i would add them after the swordtails and before the cichlids. when should i add the swordtails?

Good plan, but it might be better to sit even at 8 schoolers each... Especially with the skirts. Also, the dwarfs need to be added last as well, before the shark though. As for the dojos, I guess, but you might wanna wait a while before you add them.

No dojos IMO. They prefer cooler water, get fairly large, and can be a little aggressive from what I understand.

Good plan, but it might be better to sit even at 8 schoolers each... Especially with the skirts. Also, the dwarfs need to be added last as well, before the shark though. As for the dojos, I guess, but you might wanna wait a while before you add them.
ok,i just figured that since by then the other(less agressive) bottom dwellers would of been aded,and nobody(except the shark,who would get no trouble from an inch long fish)would be invading there territory. and remember,i wouldnt be buying a pair,i would be buying 4 small(about an inch) ones,and waiting for a pair. by waiting a while for the dojos,do you mean adding them last,or waiting a while after i add the swordtails? because i was planning to just wait a few days,like i had planned for the dwarf cichlids

No dojos IMO. They prefer cooler water, get fairly large, and can be a little aggressive from what I understand.
how big? i would think that being domesticated and bred in aquaria for such a long time as they have would have made them more tolerant of tropical temps. im off to google to see what it says:)

alLexX said:
ok,i just figured that since by then the other(less agressive) bottom dwellers would of been aded,and nobody(except the shark,who would get no trouble from an inch long fish)would be invading there territory. and remember,i wouldnt be buying a pair,i would be buying 4 small(about an inch) ones,and waiting for a pair. by waiting a while for the dojos,do you mean adding them last,or waiting a while after i add the swordtails? because i was planning to just wait a few days,like i had planned for the dwarf cichlids

Whoah... Four? Are you gonna move the others after you have a pair?

Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) — Loaches Online

That's pretty much the best source you're going to find on loaches.

This article says they're peaceful. I have heard otherwise but who knows. Still, the whole fast-flowing, cold water thing makes them incompatible IMO, plus their max size of 9-10 inches.
this article says there able to adapt,and others ive read have said thatv warmer water will just cause them to grow faster,but the whole 9-10 inches thing means no:(

It also says that keeping them in warmer water is NOT recommended and can lead to stress, shortened lifespan, and susceptibility to infection. ;)

It also says that keeping them in warmer water is NOT recommended and can lead to stress, shortened lifespan, and susceptibility to infection. ;)
ah,ok,gues i missed that. just out of curiosity,how would a temp of 75 be for the fish on my list and the dojos?

That would be too cool for everyone.

Personally, I've had only short term success keeping cool water loaches in tropical tanks, unfortunately.

Well hey, if you ever want goldfish... You have tank mates! Lol. I didn't realize they were such persnickety fish. I agree with the above... Just go with the original plan I guess :)

^ haha I toy with that idea all the time so I can keep the loaches I want with them.

Well hey, if you ever want goldfish... You have tank mates! Lol. I didn't realize they were such persnickety fish. I agree with the above... Just go with the original plan I guess :)
yep,guess ill keep the originals

update: ive been slacing off so havent tested in a while(no fish in it yet though so it doent matter),and when i tested i had 0,0,and off the charts nitrates(ive been feeding daily,and it turns out there was a lot of dead plant matter),i added the swordtails about an hour ago(after a massive pwc to get nitrates down)

need response fast

my mom is willing to take me to petsmart today and another day because shes going to costco today(costcos near petsmart),could i add the black skirts today? also,could i get 10 blackskirts instead of 6? i was reading the thread and homedog mentioned getting 8 might be better,aand i figured 10 would be better than 8. i could get them in 2 trips,but they sell them at like less than an inch long so i dontb think id have to

what temp would be best? i have the heater set at 78,but its really hot here and keeps my tank around 83-85. i dont need a fast response on this one,because i dont have many of the fish in yet(just the swordtails but hopefully today the blackskirts) and the heater hasnt turned on in like 2 weeks

edit: i got 5 black skirts today,gonna give it about a week(tell me if i should wait longer) and add the rest of the schoolers. was gonna get 6 today but they only had 5

Are you using a QT before adding all the new fish to your tank?
Life at a chain store can be highly stressful on the fish. So there is a strong likelihood that they may have a stress induced illness like ick. If you keep adding new fish without QT first, you may contaminate all your other fish. Even though I know my not very LFS takes awesome care of their fish and they don't use those tiny tanks like petco/petsmart/walmart do. They never overstock their tanks. I still always QT any new fish for 3-4 weeks before adding them to my main tanks
You can get the other 5 black skirts you want next week but you should put them in QT not your main tank.
It's really important to have a QT/HOSP tank for new fish and sick fish. I have 2 of them because my main tanks have very different water parameters.

Are you using a QT before adding all the new fish to your tank?
Life at a chain store can be highly stressful on the fish. So there is a strong likelihood that they may have a stress induced illness like ick. If you keep adding new fish without QT first, you may contaminate all your other fish. Even though I know my not very LFS takes awesome care of their fish and they don't use those tiny tanks like petco/petsmart/walmart do. They never overstock their tanks. I still always QT any new fish for 3-4 weeks before adding them to my main tanks
You can get the other 5 black skirts you want next week but you should put them in QT not your main tank.
It's really important to have a QT/HOSP tank for new fish and sick fish. I have 2 of them because my main tanks have very different water parameters.
no,my mom wont let me get any more tanks. my petsmart is pretty good at taking care of there fish though,ive never introduced a disease from them,and neither has my mom,who has been going there for like 8 years. i would use my 10 as a QT,but ive got inverts in it(ghost shrimp) and medicating would hurt them.i go on either the day they get there stock or the day after,to minimize time spent in there tanks

no,my mom wont let me get any more tanks. my petsmart is pretty good at taking care of there fish though,ive never introduced a disease from them,and neither has my mom,who has been going there for like 8 years. i would use my 10 as a QT,but ive got inverts in it(ghost shrimp) and medicating would hurt them.i go on either the day they get there stock or the day after,to minimize time spent in there tanks

Hi alLexX,
All you need is a 10g and they don't cost much. You can find them on craigslist for $10.00-$20.00 with all the trimmings.
If you can explain to her it will help protect her investment. If any new fish infect the ones you already have, it could potentially kill every fish in the tank. I unfortunately learned this the hard way. It's torture to watch your entire fish population die one after the other in an 8 hour span.
We had, had those fish for almost 6 years and it killed all of us to be so helpless to do anything.
Trust me, it will save you a ton of grief on down the line.

Back
Top Bottom