Mixed Cichlid 150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to throw stones, in my tank I have mixed Malawi, Tanginyikan, and one Victorian species, but they are all Rift Lakes, African cichlids, and I am prepared to have issues, while also working hard to prevent any before they arise.

I have personally mixed a JD like you have, and as it got older it had a miserable life, it just found and a cave and stayed there. I rehomed it because I felt so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most of the advice on here is, and should be geared towards what is BEST for your fish. You can do whatever you like, you can mix any fish you like, but if you come here asking for advice, your going to get straight answers. It's a pretty widely accepted concept that mixing cichlids from around the globe is a bad idea. Obviously it can be done, but it does not allow each fish to thrive, and live to it's fullest potential.

I am experienced and I did not come here seeking opinions nor did I ask for any. I was showing off my fish as my granddaughter asked me to and as you do squirrilah fish

However, I have heard claims that you cannot feed Africans and Central Americans the same yet I have read NOTHING that shows that as fact

Mixed tanks are not only accepted but are quite common and as to the psychology of the fish, I have asked Dr. Phil to evaluate when he has the time. My fish seem happy to me.

Can anyone politely and intelligently dispute that they feed the same? Or is everyone's expertise based upon 'we know best'

I hope you keep us updated on how well this tank of yours does.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am experienced and I did not come here seeking opinions nor did I ask for any. I was showing off my fish as my granddaughter asked me to and as you do squirrilah fish

However, I have heard claims that you cannot feed Africans and Central Americans the same yet I have read NOTHING that shows that as fact

Mixed tanks are not only accepted but are quite common and as to the psychology of the fish, I have asked Dr. Phil to evaluate when he has the time. My fish seem happy to me.

Can anyone politely and intelligently dispute that they feed the same? Or is everyone's expertise based upon 'we know best'

I did intelligently and politely address this, which you must have taken as rude and uniformed. The digestive tract of malawian mbuna and many tanganyikan species simply cannot handle the protein that most central american species eat in the wild. Their digestive tract is made to be predatory. A herbivorous digestive tract simply cannot handle larger amounts of protein. I understand that there are generic foods with a middle of the pack protein, but if you are truly trying to feed a fish the best diet for it, the you will be using various foods based on their wild diet. Mbuna/tangs will do better with spirulina and such. Central americans will do better with a higher protein content, such as live foods (brine shrimp, feeders, mysis shrimp, earthworms, blackworms, etc.). I believe that is pretty solid information and not just "I know best"........

Everything is great.

People said you can't have plants in a cichlid tank....not true...the truth is you need to be intelligent when choosing and planting your plants...but they are doing fine

People say you can't mix cichlids...once again, no problems or I should say no problems outside of Africans attacking Africans and CA attacking CA. Once again, be intelligent about the species you choose and be aware of any feeding limitations.

With a little intelligent designing, planted tanks and mixed tanks are very doable

I have had NO problems :)

MeCasa

Everything is great.

People said you can't have plants in a cichlid tank....not true...the truth is you need to be intelligent when choosing and planting your plants...but they are doing fine

People say you can't mix cichlids...once again, no problems or I should say no problems outside of Africans attacking Africans and CA attacking CA. Once again, be intelligent about the species you choose and be aware of any feeding limitations.

With a little intelligent designing, planted tanks and mixed tanks are very doable

I have had NO problems :)

MeCasa

I just read through this thread and it's pretty clear that THIS - what you've written here - is the purpose of this thread, not putting up pictures for your granddaughter to see. Let's be honest here...

I can truthfully say that I have no idea what "this is the purpose of your thread" means other than you are reading way too much into things.

Yes, I wanted a planted mixed cichlid tank and yes I worked hard to make it come true and yes both my grandchildren and myself are both happy and proud that it's working.

If you are reading something more than that into this thread then I don't know what to tell you

It's a fish tank dude, not a political statement..................................

Back
Top Bottom