Mixing new world and African cichlids ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amydaveg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g tank and see a lot of information on mixing African and new world cichlids.

Currently I have only new world, but wanted to add a few African to add color.

I know the Ph is different, but it looks like online, I see people mixing them without problems.

What is the real issue with mixing them? The pet store I went to had all the fish in a ph of 7 anyway.

Can I use a buffer and change the ph to 7.4 to make them both happy?

Or is it just not a good idea ?

Currently I have 2 convicts , one jack Dempsey and a parrot fish.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a S Amer cichlid tank and an African Malawi cichlid tank. For a short time, I had a mixed tank, but the 2 types didn't get along well. My pink convicts and severums were much more aggressive, and larger, than most of my Malawis. I don't think PH is too much of an issue, as many S Amer cichlids also prefer high PH and hard water. But, though all are cichlids, their temperaments are different, as well as their breeding habits. S Amer cichlids lay eggs, then guard the nest. Most Africans are mouth-brooders. They may be able to co-exist without major issues, but they're like scotch and orange juice: they just don't mix well.
If you want color, have a look at firemouths. There are several other colorful S Amer cichlids. Pink convicts are cool. Plus, if you can get your parrot to breed with a pink convict, you can get the famous, yet seldom seen barber-pole cichlid.

Also consider the widely different diets of the two types. Most Africans need highly vegetable diets, s. Americans need high protein meaty diets. Food for thought, pun intended :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom