Mixed up my ferts, need your help to ID them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

Well, I was in a hurry before I went out of town and mixed up the lids to my canisters of dry ferts. Oops! I have only been dosing them for a couple of weeks now and I can't remember which is which, but I know some lids got mixed up because the Plantex lid (the only one I know for sure) ended up on one of the other canisters. I just need help telling the difference between the potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, and mono-potassium phosphate.

The way I would describe the 3 "unkowns" are as follows:

1) Very fine
2) Fine
3) Fairly coarse

They are all white substances. The first one is more like a powder, and the last two are more like salt and sugar. Hope someone can help me. Thanks!

Hope this helps.

The Potassium sulfate is the finest (like a powder), and the Mono-Potassium Phosphate is the coarsest. The Potassium nitrate is kind of in between.

I would try mixing a small solution of each. Using your test kits you should be able to tell them apart by determining which ones has a reading for PO4 and which one has a reading for NO3.

Thanks guys, I can fertilize my tanks with confidence tomorrow. I was going to try the test kit thing but I had no idea how much to add of each to such a small quantity of water in order to get a valid test (i.e. too much and it can just precipitate out, giving a false negative result).

And I will label the containers now that I know, lol! :)

Back
Top Bottom