Mixing Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wondered if anyone had expierence mixing together a Blue Face Angelfish and an Emperor Angelfish. I would like to try this only if it's not going to cause WWIII in my aquarium.

The fish would be in a 120 gallon aquarium with a mixed variety of other reef fish, no other angels though.

At one point i had 3 angels in a tank (Queen, Maculosus, and Poma) with very little aggression. After a while the Maculosus got out of control, but not just with the other angels with every fish in the tank. He just took over the tank and harassed everyone. If they r small you can get away with it, but those two species grown are way to big for a 120g even if there was only one. Its way too small for 2 adult angels. I wouldnt try it long term in anything less than a 180g just because of their size as adults.

agreed...they need a lot of room... as they get older they will be more territorial....i had some dwarf angels that didnt got along at first but turned to the worst as they got comfortable

Dont know much about those angels but will they be OK in a reef tank? Like I said I really dont know much about those. Just wondering

I did some research on it guys and the fact that there was a 50/50 chance they would fight compiled by the Emperor's less then stellar reef safe rating made me decide to not even try it. Also, the Blue Face has been a pretty model reef tank citizen and is overall a very gorgeous fish so I didn't want to risk stress on him. Neither a Blue Face Angel or Emperor are "cheap" fish either.

They may be fine...for a while. My Mac was 3" long when I got here and placed her in my 210 gallon. Within 2.5 years she was almost a foot long when I donated her to the Cleveland zoo.
IMO a 120 is borderline at best for even one angel. Two is a recipe for eventual disaster. They do not remain juvies forever and aggression is certain.

Back
Top Bottom