Mixing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicolas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank and have about 5 mollies in there right now I've heard that mixing chiclids with mollies in that small of a tank isn't a good idea so I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and if this is a good or bad idea.

I have a 10 gallon tank and have about 5 mollies in there right now I've heard that mixing chiclids with mollies in that small of a tank isn't a good idea so I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and if this is a good or bad idea.

Your tank is already way overstocked, so even if you got a ram or other dwarf cichlid, it wouldn't work due to bioload.

The aggression of the cichlids is more of a concern than the bioload.

The aggression of the cichlids is more of a concern than the bioload.

Completely and totally incorrect...I can name off about 20 different species that would work perfectly with mollies. Please don't make broad generalizations about a family of fish as diverse as cichlidae. While many rift lake cichlids are aggressive, there are also several calm species in those lakes, as well as west african riverine species that are quite docile, as well as many south american species that are more peaceful than the mollies themselves. There's even central american species that are peaceful, and most of the highly aggressive species come from central america (festae, beanii, etc.). Don't take this as an attack, but ratherlearn from it. I love the peaceful species of cichlids and hate the generalizations that are bad that they are all either huge or aggressive. A perfect example is my avatar, a Uaru amphiacanthoides, a 10" or so cichlid from south america. She lives with inch long cories, lemon tetras, rummy nose, a absolute baby german blue ram (another peaceful cichlid), etc etc.

With that being said, mollies do not belong in a 5 or a 10 gallon, and although there are cichlid species that could live in tanks of that size, i wouldnt do it, as there is no way the bacteria in the filter could handle the bioload of 5 adult mollies, plus other inhabitants. My advice is go buy a 20 long, it'll be better for the fish, and you can do much more with it.

Completely and totally incorrect...I can name off about 20 different species that would work perfectly with mollies. Please don't make broad generalizations about a family of fish as diverse as cichlidae. While many rift lake cichlids are aggressive, there are also several calm species in those lakes, as well as west african riverine species that are quite docile, as well as many south american species that are more peaceful than the mollies themselves. There's even central american species that are peaceful, and most of the highly aggressive species come from central america (festae, beanii, etc.). Don't take this as an attack, but ratherlearn from it. I love the peaceful species of cichlids and hate the generalizations that are bad that they are all either huge or aggressive. A perfect example is my avatar, a Uaru amphiacanthoides, a 10" or so cichlid from south america. She lives with inch long cories, lemon tetras, rummy nose, a absolute baby german blue ram (another peaceful cichlid), etc etc.

With that being said, mollies do not belong in a 5 or a 10 gallon, and although there are cichlid species that could live in tanks of that size, i wouldnt do it, as there is no way the bacteria in the filter could handle the bioload of 5 adult mollies, plus other inhabitants. My advice is go buy a 20 long, it'll be better for the fish, and you can do much more with it.

I didn't mean to offend you and your cichlids. Most people think o the aggressive ones, and I wouldn't want anyone's fish to get slaughtered.

Sorry I didn't mean for this too be a heated debate I like all feedback I can get.

I didn't mean to sound offended, I just want to make sure people understand that cichlidae is a very large family of fish, with many different shapes, sizes, and temperaments :)

I didn't mean to sound offended, I just want to make sure people understand that cichlidae is a very large family of fish, with many different shapes, sizes, and temperaments :)

What are some breeds that would go well with opaline gourami, tiger barbs and red glass barbs?

Back
Top Bottom