Mixing Gouramis/Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soupy97

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon breeder with 2 blue gouramis, 2 keyhole cichlids, and 1 BN pleco. I wanted to add another blue gourami and 2 firemouth cichlids. I was hoping that having the five fish will spread out some of the aggression that is associated with them. My tank is densely planted with lots of tall plants.

Thoughts?

You don't have enough space for firemouths in addition to those other fish. The keyholes would get bullied out of eating in all likelihood, or just bullied into a corner. They are rather shy little fish and could not deal with the attitude of firemouths.
As for adding another blue gourami, I don't recommend it. There are some differences in individual personalities with gourami that make some better community residents than others. If your current tank gets long ok with the 2 you have, I would just keep it at 2.

Ok. What if I were to skip the gourami and add only a single firemouth?

I guess it just comes down to the personality of the fish I get.

I am a fan of apistogramma, but I want something bigger around 5" or so

You can try a green severum. They get over 5" and do ok in 'smaller' tanks.

Or a rainbow they get about 5"

Green severums get up to 8", I wouldn't get one for a 40g. A festivum could work. Or a rainbow cichlid.

Somebody else might have a different opinion or experience, but I personally think keyholes are best paired with other dwarf cichlids. They are just not big or assertive enough to compete with most larger cichlids in my experience. I do think a festivum might be an exception to that since the festivum is a much milder cichlid than many. I have no experience with the rainbow cichlid that was also suggested, so I won't comment on that.

Somebody else might have a different opinion or experience, but I personally think keyholes are best paired with other dwarf cichlids. They are just not big or assertive enough to compete with most larger cichlids in my experience. I do think a festivum might be an exception to that since the festivum is a much milder cichlid than many. I have no experience with the rainbow cichlid that was also suggested, so I won't comment on that.

I agree with keeping them with dwarf cichlids. As a person who has kept both Mesonauta festivus and Mesonauta acora, I don't think I'd choose a festivum as a tank mate. They can be fairly pugnacious as adults (more like angelfish in terms of behavior than keyholes). I think in a larger tank it could work, but I wouldn't try it in a 3' tank. Rainbow cichlids are pretty passive, you might have some luck with one of those, but just given the tank size I'd be more inclined to choose a pair of Apistogramma, rams, possibly Laetacara. Dicrossus are pretty delicate, so probably avoid those, and I think a pair of Pelvicachromis might be kind of rough on keyholes so probably avoid those too. Just my thoughts. :)

I agree with keeping them with dwarf cichlids. As a person who has kept both Mesonauta festivus and Mesonauta acora, I don't think I'd choose a festivum as a tank mate. They can be fairly pugnacious as adults (more like angelfish in terms of behavior than keyholes). I think in a larger tank it could work, but I wouldn't try it in a 3' tank. Rainbow cichlids are pretty passive, you might have some luck with one of those, but just given the tank size I'd be more inclined to choose a pair of Apistogramma, rams, possibly Laetacara. Dicrossus are pretty delicate, so probably avoid those, and I think a pair of Pelvicachromis might be kind of rough on keyholes so probably avoid those too. Just my thoughts. :)

Go with her advice. She has much more experience with these species than me. :)

Back
Top Bottom