mixing sand and gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helen19t

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK so I need some advice. I'm relatively new to the aquariums. I have two aquariums a 10 gallon and a 56 gallon. Both are healthy and get 10-15% water changes weakly if not a little more often for the 10 gallon.

10 gallon tank
2 platy
1 beta
3 neon tetras

Tall 56 gallon tank
2 albino Cory catfish

Anyway I couldn't reall decide which fish I really wanted in my 56 gallon aquarium. So I decide to just go take look see what caught me eye and fortunately the albino Cory catfish seemed to catch my eye. Unfortunately I probably should have done a bit more research before taking them home. If I had I would have realized sand is better for them.

So I was wondering if I remove some gravel and add sand would it be OK. I have about 30 lbs of graven in the tank as of right now. I would really like to mix the sand with the gravel. Yes I realize that the sand will eventually settle on the bottom but I was wondering if I took enough gravel out and added enough sand if the Cory would still be able to root around in the sand ? Also I have a bubbler will that stir up the sand too much?

Also I was wondering what would be a good tankmate for the Cory's and yes I will be adding more corydoras to my tank. I would really like some strong swimmers cause my bubbler creates a bit of movement.

I am not sure I fully understand what you are trying accomplish by mixing them.

In order for it to be useful you would have to have a large percentage of sand otherwise it would quickly shift to the bottom. If you have a large percentage of sand why not do all sand?

As for your air stone it shouldn't effect the sand at all. But it will need to sit on top.

Also, consider that your choice of sand effects your ease of maintenance. Sand with a large uniform grain size will be the easiest.

I buy pool filter sand from Home Depot for 5 bucks for a huge bag. Just make sure you wash the sand out really well before you put it in your tank or it will be very cloudy. You will also need some kind of snail to mix the sand up and keep it clean.

May the force be with you.

I find that the stuff from home depot and lowes is much less uniform in size than the stuff that would get a pool supply store.

However, that being said, since the stuff is sourced from all different places you never really know what you are getting.

If you use the stuff from the big box stores just makes sure you wash it well before you put in your tank. Your impeller will thank you for it.

Back
Top Bottom