Mixing these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, so I finally upgraded to a 60 gallon aquarium. When I put my fish in there it seemed very empty so I went out and bought some more fish. Heres what im at so far. 1 Angel, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 glow tail tetras, 2 brilliant rasboras, 1 green tigerbarb, 1 opaline gourami, 1 red minor, 2 blue ram cichlids, and 1 common pleco, and 2 mollies. I am planning on getting 1 more angel and 1 more opaline gourami. I have already bought the opaline gourami and they told me I wont have any problems with the fish fighting, but after reading i found out they may. Also Im at 14 fish right now and will be at 16 fish If I buy the angel and gourami, am I at all overstocked? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0539.jpg
    DSCF0539.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 104
Your tank is stocked very poorly, nothing belongs together and a common pleco is just a Big NO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya but the funny thing is they all get alone great. Tiger barb and molly love to chase each other around but other than that ive never had any kind of problem. And the pleco is only about 6 inches right now and he looks super tiny in the 60 gallon tank.

That's fine and well. Research max size and temperament, also check basic parameter requirements..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Where to begin? (not being sarcastic,just trying to help)

Number of fish has nothing to do with stocking. You have to go by ultimate size of fish.

Common plecos are poor choices for most tanks. They can quickly grow to over a foot and are poop machines. BNPs make better choices.

Angelfish will eat small tetras. 2 angelfish in a 60 gallon will not co-exist unless they are a mated pair.

Schooling fish (tetras, rasboras, barbs) need to be kept in schools of at least 6 fish. Tiger barbs are known fin nippers (watch out angelfish). You can alleviate this tendency by keeping them in schools of 10 or more so that they are preoccupied with their own kind.

Blue rams and mollies generally like warm water (80+) which the other fish will not appreciate.

Do yourself a favor and return the inappropriate fish. With a little research, you can put together a beautiful tank with no aggression. I have a 90 gallon tank stocked with schools of neons, rummynoses, harlequins, glass catfish, and emperor tetras, plus BNPs, cories and an old Bolivian ram. No problems with aggression whatsoever.

Did you add all these fish at the same time?
do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Are you using water conditioner?
I'm asking these because it seems like you might be new to the hobby. I'm not trying to shame you only trying to help for you and the fish.

many of your fish need to be in larger groups. such as your 2 glow tail tetras (I have never kept these so i don't know for sure if they need to be in groups, but tetras usually need to be in groups of at least 6-8, also some types of tetras can be notorious fin nippers). Rasboras and mollies also need to be in larger groups with mollies needing a gender ratio of 3 females for every male.

Return the tiger barb. they are notorious fin nippers and even getting them in a bigger school might not cut down on this behavior.

The common pleco can get huge!!!! and they eat algae and stuff now but as they get bigger they get aggressive and have been known to attack fish and suck the slime coat off of them leading to injury and possible death.

I would check the compatibility of your two different gourami and your angelfish.
I don't know what a red minor is so I can't advise you on it.

2 blue ram cichlids: these can be territorial and aggressive. if they turn out to be of the same sex make sure you have two distinct areas for them on opposite sides of the tank. with rocks/driftwood and/or plenty of plants.(which you will need more of)

Angel fish can be aggressive too. Though I think maybe you could squeeze another into your tank but i think that depends on if you keep the gourami. I think if you want to keep your angelfish with other fish you will need a lot more plants. Plants will break up line of sight. for an angel fish when they chase they are often chasing things out of a territory. so out of sight out of mind.

I would suggest you do research yourself before buying anymore fish, and doing research to take back some of the ones you have already.

As for stocking, you need to look up how big the fish will get when it is an adult. there is a guideline that says one inch of fish per gallon. but it is always better to understock than overstock.

a good website to use to help you is AqAdvisor.com it will tell you which fish are compatible and if you are overstocking.

Stocked a little differently but overtime people change stocking size change fish add different aquariums and such. Almost everyone stocks like this at first but overtime learn and change things. Most people here will give good advice for long term plans. I made stockings at first as well.

What I've learned over the years is that sometimes stockings that should work, don't, and sometimes stockings that shouldn't work, do.

Keep an eye on your fish and if any cause problems, remove them. Your pleco will be fine for a while...maybe years...just sell/trade/give him to somebody with a bigger set up when he gets too big.

Did you add all these fish at the same time?
do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Are you using water conditioner?
I'm asking these because it seems like you might be new to the hobby. I'm not trying to shame you only trying to help for you and the fish.

many of your fish need to be in larger groups. such as your 2 glow tail tetras (I have never kept these so i don't know for sure if they need to be in groups, but tetras usually need to be in groups of at least 6-8, also some types of tetras can be notorious fin nippers). Rasboras and mollies also need to be in larger groups with mollies needing a gender ratio of 3 females for every male.

Return the tiger barb. they are notorious fin nippers and even getting them in a bigger school might not cut down on this behavior.

The common pleco can get huge!!!! and they eat algae and stuff now but as they get bigger they get aggressive and have been known to attack fish and suck the slime coat off of them leading to injury and possible death.

I would check the compatibility of your two different gourami and your angelfish.
I don't know what a red minor is so I can't advise you on it.

2 blue ram cichlids: these can be territorial and aggressive. if they turn out to be of the same sex make sure you have two distinct areas for them on opposite sides of the tank. with rocks/driftwood and/or plenty of plants.(which you will need more of)

Angel fish can be aggressive too. Though I think maybe you could squeeze another into your tank but i think that depends on if you keep the gourami. I think if you want to keep your angelfish with other fish you will need a lot more plants. Plants will break up line of sight. for an angel fish when they chase they are often chasing things out of a territory. so out of sight out of mind.

I would suggest you do research yourself before buying anymore fish, and doing research to take back some of the ones you have already.

As for stocking, you need to look up how big the fish will get when it is an adult. there is a guideline that says one inch of fish per gallon. but it is always better to understock than overstock.

a good website to use to help you is AqAdvisor.com it will tell you which fish are compatible and if you are overstocking.

Thanks for the reply, and no I added the fish a couple or some at a time... Yes I do know about the nitrogen cycle, and yes I add conditioner into the water. And I used to have a 30 gallon tank and every fish I bought I would talk to someone about it at my lfs but they always told me yes they will be fine... None of my fish fight or anything, the opaline gourami chases around the dwarf when its feeding time, but other than that everythings fine. The angelfish is harmless, never seemed to be aggressive and is already of medium size. Also my tiger barb is a green tiger barb im not sure that changes anything but thats that.. I finally figured out that that store doesn't care about your fish it cares about your money. Because some guys say one thing and others say something completely different. I recently bought 4 giant danios, and the 2 glow tail eye tetras are always together with the danios along with the 2 brilliant rasboras. Now Its too late to change anything in my tank because I payed a lot for the fish and they only take them back for free. Also if i do get one more angel and not another opaline gourami, (cus they may kill the dwarf gourami) will that work? Ive had the angel for about 6 months, and if a add another small one what will happen, I have a striped female want to add a black male. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom