Mlani's Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted a spot where I can post what's going on for me. Seems I always end up with several threads going at once on various topics. Everything happens at the same time around here lol!

Today I'm working on setting up my sons 33 gal in his room. (Very nervous about this) I'm not sure he's going to stay interested in it to do the upkeep. This will be the first tank we set upstairs. All my other tanks are on the main level. Makes it easier for maintenance.

In between doing that I'm also trying to set up the 20 gal for me to try my hands at plants. I have the vase (planted bowl) with them but I'd rather do a tank. Less evaporation and then I could potentially add some fish friends too.

My bumble bee cichlid is holding (not sure if they're fertilized) It'll be my first time having babies! (Fish babies anyway) So I've put her in a little fluval for the time being. I have no idea what these babies will look like since she is the only bumble bee in my 65. Don't know who daddy is. I didn't even know she was a girl until seeing the bump. Lol!

Trooper is starting to get used to the idea of sharing his castle with other discus. I had to stop hand feeding for the time being because he was getting way to aggressive with the other discus. My bad for spoiling the crap out of him.

Some sad news for me, my dragon goby isn't looking so hot :'-( He's pretty old so I should've known it was coming but it still doesn't make it easier. I figure once he passes, he's 8 years old, don't think I'm sitting here hoping cause I'm NOT. I'm just looking at the reality of it. I won't be putting anything in his tank. (Me telling myself no more tanks)

Going to downsize a bit here. I've realized (since hurting my hand) its far too much work having so many tanks and I need to stop getting more and more.. As I'm setting up two more omg! Is there a cure for mts??

Well it was a long read but it seems I've always got a lot going on. Please feel free to comment or question on any of my posts. I enjoy sharing experiences and could always use the advice from others. Oh and I'm serious about looking for that cure so if you know of one let me in on the secret!

I finished the 20 what do you guys think?

My plants are really yellow and aren't staying in the substrate. I have a feeling the smallest tank I have (besides the fluval that's on loan) is going to give me the most grief. Plants!? What made me think I could do this!!? Lol!

My son finally settled with his decorations. After hours of moving them around (I know where he gets that from) lol! Remember he's only nine so mind the scooby doo and sponge bob ;-)

I'm not sure if my bumble bee is still carrying? The bump doesn't look as big today? Do you think she may have eaten them?

Oh and on a good note.. Troopers schooling with his new buddies!!! YAY!!

Attachments

• image-1633198721.jpg
    image-1633198721.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 242
  • image-3295356247.jpg
    image-3295356247.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 230
  • image-2645414170.jpg
    image-2645414170.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 232
  • image-1946256514.jpg
    image-1946256514.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 247
I finished the 20 what do you guys think?

My plants are really yellow and aren't staying in the substrate. I have a feeling the smallest tank I have (besides the fluval that's on loan) is going to give me the most grief. Plants!? What made me think I could do this!!? Lol!

My son finally settled with his decorations. After hours of moving them around (I know where he gets that from) lol! Remember he's only nine so mind the scooby doo and sponge bob ;-)

I'm not sure if my bumble bee is still carrying? The bump doesn't look as big today? Do you think she may have eaten them?

Oh and on a good note.. Troopers schooling with his new buddies!!! YAY!!

Your tanks are looking great! Love you're sons deco my boy would go nuts for that lol the plants i get for my tank is usually java fern, Anubias (really like this one have it attached to my bogwood) elodea it grows wild! Java moss i attach it to my deco. The other plants i get i don't have much luck with they don't last long, i also have floating amazon frogbit my fish like the shade.

I'm going to see if I can find something to "tie" my plants down. They all popped up once I turned the filter on lol!

I managed to get the plant situation under control. I took the plastic from baby bel cheese packs you get, cut it flat layered the stems where I wanted them then put the plastic like a net over them and buried it all with my sand/gravel. So far they're staying put! And they're not dead! Yay!

My sons tank still sits empty. I can't convince him that its too small for a red tailed shark. (He's wanted another one since my Africans killed his other one.)

Today I rescaped my 65 African tank. I added 8 new fish (already lost one) and I'm still not sure if they are dolphins and peacocks or not lol!

My bumble bee is still holding. Now when you look in her mouth you can see little black eyes staring back at you. It's kinda cool but strange all at the same time lol!

My pump went on my 80 had to tear it down and clear the propeller. Somehow I got gravel up in there. At least I didn't have to "borrow" another pump from hubby's work stash. ;-)

I gave away my 46 today. Drained it cleaned it all up and sent it on its way. I'd much rather remember the smile on that little boys face than remember my Dragon fish dead in it. So I guess in a way I AM DOWNSIZING! Hubby was happier than a pig in poop to see it go. I believe he said "don't stop there" lol!

I think that's it for now. I'm sure this next week will bring more adventures!

Thank you, all of you.

Today my bumble spit her babies. I took her out and put her in the planted tank. Shes making one heck of a mess of my plants! I'm going to keep her there for a week or so. Until she is eating good and gets stronger. Then I'll put her back in the big tank with the rest of the population. I'm then going to move the babies into the planted until they're large enough to go in the big tank too. I'm really curious as to what they're going to grow into. I'm also worried they're not eating. I've taken flake and shrimp pellets, put them in a Baggie and made them powder for food. Since I'm not able to get to town until the weekend.

My sons tank still sits empty.. I feel like a bad mommy. He just won't budge on the darn shark!

Trooper is still doing well with the new guys (still without names) its fun to see them zip around together. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to add some friends for him. They even sleep together now. I never thought that would happen from how Trooper first received them. Lol!
The pump is doing well after I cleaned it out. Thank goodness!

I did manage to get my hands on a used marine land c220 that I'm either going to put on my sons tank or add it to my African tank. Anyone had these canisters? The reviews were pretty torn. They either loved it or hated it no in betweens at all.

I'll leave it tonight with some pics of my new "gran babies" ;-)
I couldn't find them at first and almost lost my mind thinking they were in the filter. They're up top! Up until now they've been staying at the bottom. Maybe now they'll eat I'm going to give them some more and see.

Attachments

• image-744320230.jpg
    image-744320230.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 199
Well your doing the right thing about the shark and your babies look well

Thank you Starfox64 (I loved that game btw) I'm a little concerned about my babies. They all have a dark spot on their sides. I'll attach a pic so you can see. Is it just their bellies? I know its not the egg sac (I've recently learned that's the yellow part) any ideas?

Attachments

• image-1403016137.jpg
    image-1403016137.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 177
I went away for the weekend, left my tanks in my families hands. Came back yesterday to my 20 (holding bumble mama) pump not running and no one knew when it stopped or that it had. That tank is such a mess plants all pulled up food stuck to the intake and fuzzy. I can't believe one weekend with out me here and it could get that bad.
Then there's my 80 ..
I've lost so many fish that the math is getting harder to keep track. At first glance I though maybe someone was eating them? (Discus or the albino shark?) In that tank I've lost 10 harlequin rasboras, 5 cardinals, 4 Von rio tetras & 5 glow light tetras. So 24 fish since I left on Friday night?? I asked my hubby wth!? He says he doesn't know all they did was follow my instructions. (I wrote out everyone's food and schedules before I left)
My 65 seems to be ok. No ones disappeared, the water is good. Oh and on a good note the babies (bumble bee hybrids) are getting bigger! YAY!
I just have to figure out what in the world is happening in my 80!! Any ideas guys??

Attachments

• image-2229525969.jpg
    image-2229525969.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 109
That's awful Mlani, im really sorry to hear this :( all those fish you have lost. What a nightmare!

I don't even know what to do! My levels are good..I have no idea what happened while I was away. I don't even want to tell you details. Lets just say my family didn't touch a thing except to feed. I spent a good hour just finding bodies and scooping. I'm so worried about the rest of my fish in there. Hubby always threatened to pee in my tank..I wonder if he finally did it!?

I don't even know what to do! My levels are good..I have no idea what happened while I was away. I don't even want to tell you details. Lets just say my family didn't touch a thing except to feed. I spent a good hour just finding bodies and scooping. I'm so worried about the rest of my fish in there. Hubby always threatened to pee in my tank..I wonder if he finally did it!?

He wouldn't do that would he? I'm so sorry for you wish i could help. If it was me i would do a large pwc and all you can do is keep an eye on them. Do the rest look ok?

If he did do it.. (I'm hoping he's better than that) wouldn't it show up on my readings?
Everyone else seems to be fine, no spots, no gasping, no changes at all! I just can't get my head around it..They've had no issues (deaths) in that tank until now and it's like mass suicide in there :-(

I would think you would get readings. Can't even think what could of happened I'm stumped!

Something maybe been sprayed near the tank by accident and it's gotten in the water? Trying to think off answers but I'm confused to what happened :(

Whoa that sucks. Now I'm afraid to leave for the weekend with my mom taking care of the tanks

He swears they did nothing to the tank at all. He said they fed them but I do know they didn't get a lot (I looked in the freezer) I wonder if some of the fish did turn on the others as food? I've never not fed my fish so I'm not sure if they would or how long it would take for them to decide to. I was away for two nights, three days.
Hopefully your mom cares more about your hobby than my family does mine? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom