Mlani's Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Lesley, nice to meet you!!!. Am I right in assuming Gonzo is a bristlenose???. What did he cut himself on??

Hi ian, nice to meet you too, gonzo is my elephant nose he's managed to cut his back all i can do is loads of pwc for him. Think he's maybe cut himself on his pvc pipe its been sanded well down now. He won't let me take a pic but the outside of the wound is pale think it's maybe him starting to heal?

Hi ian, nice to meet you too, gonzo is my elephant nose he's managed to cut his back all i can do is loads of pwc for him. Think he's maybe cut himself on his pvc pipe its been sanded well down now. He won't let me take a pic but the outside of the wound is pale think it's maybe him starting to heal?
Yeah I would say that is a good sign. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. You could always pick up a bottle of API Melefix or some aquarium salt if he doesn't heal soon. Both are always good to have on hand....

Yeah I would say that is a good sign. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. You could always pick up a bottle of API Melefix or some aquarium salt if he doesn't heal soon. Both are always good to have on hand....

Thanks, I'll maybe grab myself a bottle tomorrow and then it's there if i need it.

I swear some days we can jinx ourselves. I'm so glad you have things under control again. Even if it was for a brief moment that would have startled the crap out of me. To see my fish all bunched up in a ball being pushed around. I think my tank has settled down. There have been no more losses *again touching wood* everyone who is left is eating well and swimming normal. Not that I had any physical warnings before though. Either way I haven't had to scoop any little bodies out so I'm happy again. I think I'm going to give it another week and then I'm going to give the remaining harlequins to my son for his tank. He has four in there now and I only have two left from mine. I had so many, such a beautiful school. Oh well can't pout about it.. My glass catfish are still intact, I'm wondering if I should get more cories again because I lost my numbers in them. It seems I'm choosing which schools to increase again. The wonderful circle of life.
I want to thank everyone who has helped me along this last "hiccup" with my discus tank. Very much appreciated to have people to talk to and give different ideas on what to try. I would still probably be chasing my tail on this one. So thank you guys/gals!! Kudos!!
On a different note.. I finally got my son to stock his tank. I'm not sure if I won the battle or gave in on the battle. He has agreed that he is going to save his money for a 75 gal tank (he's already saved $50.00) because..and this is where I gave in I know.. He got his darn red tailed shark. *growls under breath* its around half an inch right now. Just a tiny little thing. He also picked up two angels and as I mentioned earlier four harlequins. We also (I grabbed one too) picked up a mystery fish lol! I know not a good thing to do but if they turn out to be something other than what I think they might be we do have many options for rehoming available to us. So maybe you all could help me out once again lol
What do you think these guys could be? They're tiny tiny right now so it may be a challenge. Lol!
I'm thinking marble bristle noses?

Agreed! And that fish is a spotted bristle nose plec I have one male and two females and a ton of babies here's my female... Note yours only has the white line in the dorsal fin because it is young it will also loose a bit of its lovely spotted coloration as it gets bigger here a few shots of mine...

image-2583229969.jpg

image-1382197530.jpg

image-1728862246.jpg

Oh very cool! Too bad about the white tips .. I kind of like them. Lol! Still a great looking fish though. Thank you for sharing to give me an idea of what to expect.
Sounds like Gonzo may be healing already. I second or should I say third the picking up a bottle to help him along. It'll just help him heal faster.
On other news in my 65 African tank. I am in a bit of a jam again.. My bumble bee cichlid (who just got put back in there maybe two weeks ago because she had babies) is pregnant again! I have no idea where I'm going to put this batch the first batch is still in the 20 gal growing out. They're not even an inch yet. My son is freaking out wanting me to pull her out of the big tank so the babies don't get eaten but I haven't got another bloody tank to put her in. Any one know if there's birth control for fish?? Lol!

Oh very cool! Too bad about the white tips .. I kind of like them. Lol! Still a great looking fish though. Thank you for sharing to give me an idea of what to expect.
Sounds like Gonzo may be healing already. I second or should I say third the picking up a bottle to help him along. It'll just help him heal faster.
On other news in my 65 African tank. I am in a bit of a jam again.. My bumble bee cichlid (who just got put back in there maybe two weeks ago because she had babies) is pregnant again! I have no idea where I'm going to put this batch the first batch is still in the 20 gal growing out. They're not even an inch yet. My son is freaking out wanting me to pull her out of the big tank so the babies don't get eaten but I haven't got another bloody tank to put her in. Any one know if there's birth control for fish?? Lol!

The females should keep them a lot longer than the males so keep an eye out of how quick they loose them the first to loose them will be the males :) can't you speak to your lfs and see if they will take the fry??? Could get a little store credit although they don't normally offer much for real young fry!

The one has already lost the white tips. So I guess I have a boy in with my female albino butterfly BN lol! The other two still have theirs. I talked to a couple of my lfs' and they won't even consider taking the fry until they're around an inch inch and a half big. I may just leave her in the big tank and throw one of those caddys in there for the babies to escape into.

I would just do the same with your babies since you have no where to put them.
And gonzo is looking great today panic over lol

Thanks for asking :)

I went into the city today for my sons tank. Not sure if I mentioned what he finally decided on or not? He's saving his money for a bigger tank and that's the only reason I agreed to his current stock. Lol!
He has two angels, one red tailed shark, harlequin rasboras (4) and a marble bristle nose pleco. The angels have been picking on each other non stop (what I warned him of due to their numbers) hence the reason for the trip today. I picked him up another angel (so he has 3 now) and grabbed 5 more harlequins (just to give him a larger school).
While I was there I picked up a breeder net for my bumble bee cichlid (aka the baby machine) I looked at some fish for my African tank but couldn't decide so I passed, but i have some ideas of what to research a little more.
The fry are getting bigger and the guy at the lfs said they'd take them depending on "how pretty they are" since they're hybrids. I hope he thinks they're pretty cause she has another batch brewing lol!
As for my 80 (Troopers tank) I lost another cory (my panda this time) a few days ago. Hopefully the roughest part is over. I'm tearing my filtration apart and reconfiguring the whole set up. The pump (motor) I have on there keeps getting bunked up. Whether its gravel getting in there and preventing the propellor from spinning, to the sponge on the intake slipping and plugging. So this time around I'm going to change the intake pipe and swap the pump (motor) to see if that makes a difference in the tank.
It was really difficult not to pick up more cories today or harlequins for that tank. I figure I'll wait until I'm completely in the clear before I try to replenish my schools in there. No need risking more fish.
How's Gonzo doing??

Thanks for asking :)

I went into the city today for my sons tank. Not sure if I mentioned what he finally decided on or not? He's saving his money for a bigger tank and that's the only reason I agreed to his current stock. Lol!
He has two angels, one red tailed shark, harlequin rasboras (4) and a marble bristle nose pleco. The angels have been picking on each other non stop (what I warned him of due to their numbers) hence the reason for the trip today. I picked him up another angel (so he has 3 now) and grabbed 5 more harlequins (just to give him a larger school).
While I was there I picked up a breeder net for my bumble bee cichlid (aka the baby machine) I looked at some fish for my African tank but couldn't decide so I passed, but i have some ideas of what to research a little more.
The fry are getting bigger and the guy at the lfs said they'd take them depending on "how pretty they are" since they're hybrids. I hope he thinks they're pretty cause she has another batch brewing lol!
As for my 80 (Troopers tank) I lost another cory (my panda this time) a few days ago. Hopefully the roughest part is over. I'm tearing my filtration apart and reconfiguring the whole set up. The pump (motor) I have on there keeps getting bunked up. Whether its gravel getting in there and preventing the propellor from spinning, to the sponge on the intake slipping and plugging. So this time around I'm going to change the intake pipe and swap the pump (motor) to see if that makes a difference in the tank.
It was really difficult not to pick up more cories today or harlequins for that tank. I figure I'll wait until I'm completely in the clear before I try to replenish my schools in there. No need risking more fish.
How's Gonzo doing??

Sounds like a nice stocking on your son's tank, it's great he's so involved with fish keeping good hobby for him.
I hope your lfs takes some of your babies that'll help you out a lot especially since she's having more!
Sorry to hear you lost another cory :( you did the right thing not buying anymore i know how hard it is to resist!
Gonzo is doing great all marks have gone and he's growing too quickly, we're thinking of looking for a bigger tank for him just seems scary having to move him.

Oh don't be afraid to move him. He'll be better for it in the long run. You won't have to worry about stunting his growth either if he's in a larger tank before he needs it. I've switched fish into other tanks numerous times. You just have to make sure you have everything organized properly for them to adjust well. Seed the new tank with the water he's already in and start running the filtration on the current tank now for the new tank. That way you don't have to worry about cycling the new tank. I can help you through it if you need. The plants you have though oh my I'd hate to have to transplant all of them lol! Are you thinking of keeping the tank he's in and restocking with some other fish?

Oh don't be afraid to move him. He'll be better for it in the long run. You won't have to worry about stunting his growth either if he's in a larger tank before he needs it. I've switched fish into other tanks numerous times. You just have to make sure you have everything organized properly for them to adjust well. Seed the new tank with the water he's already in and start running the filtration on the current tank now for the new tank. That way you don't have to worry about cycling the new tank. I can help you through it if you need. The plants you have though oh my I'd hate to have to transplant all of them lol! Are you thinking of keeping the tank he's in and restocking with some other fish?

Well we're looking at the moment, I've seen two i like and I'm waiting for my lfs to have it's sale. He's fine at the moment plenty of room but I think he's going to grow more he seems to have got big over the last month too much good food lol I'll be selling my tank we don't have much room here already have two tanks. I'll definitely get you to help when the time comes I'll need it :)

Sounds good. I look forward to his move. Feel free to ask me anything if I know the answers I'll gladly share with you!

Hey Mel!!, anymore development with the murder/mystery in the tank. I hope everything has settled down now. Glad to hear leslie's fish is back to full health....

Hey Ian! So far (I'm almost afraid to tempt fate here) no more deaths. I'm still waiting to make sure everything has settled down in there. I'm taking advantage of the time by looking into other alternatives of species that will thrive in the same conditions my discus require. I've been looking into endangered species too. It's insane how many there are. Makes me wish I had a HUGE tank (maybe a few) to help them out. How are things in your neck of the woods?

Hey Ian! So far (I'm almost afraid to tempt fate here) no more deaths. I'm still waiting to make sure everything has settled down in there. I'm taking advantage of the time by looking into other alternatives of species that will thrive in the same conditions my discus require. I've been looking into endangered species too. It's insane how many there are. Makes me wish I had a HUGE tank (maybe a few) to help them out. How are things in your neck of the woods?
That's great, every day is a step forward!!!. I'd love a big tank myself but the gf would have none of it...haha. Everything's great here. Were enjoying a mini heat wave over here at the moment. 24c for the last 4 days. It might seem cold to you but trust me, it's hot for us. We only had floods a few weeks ago. We don't really have summers here just continuous mild winters....haha. I'm trying to get some 'colour' for my holidays, to Portugal. I don't want to look like an albino on the beach. I'm more like a tomato at the moment!!!. I don't really go brown, just red then white again. I must have some Norwegian blood in me.....
Don't know if you saw this thread but speaking of big tanks, have a read of this......
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/tank-is-now-here-pics-217854.html

Back
Top Bottom