Mollies and aquarium salts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was thinking of adding some Dalmatian mollies to my 55g community tank but I was wondering if the absolutely need the salt in my aquarium and if I do will affect the others in the community negatively

When you say do better do you mean like longer life?

I add salt to my aquarium every water change. My fish do not been it, but it keeps them healthy and happy. :)

That was *need btw.

I add two tablespoons once every 2 months. I give a few shakes every water change. I eyeball it. :D Follow the directions on the back of the jar or box for the size tank you have.

The use of salt is really subjective and most of it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
Example, I could start putting a spoon full of koolaid in my tanks every water change. The fish seem to like it, they seem active, they seem happy, therefore koolaid must be healthy for them.

Much of the reasoning behind salt use in tanks comes from a misunderstanding of the term 'salts'.

People say to add salt with mollies because some mollies come from estuarine conditions (i.e. brackish). Mollies are perfectly adaptable to fresh or salt conditions, though, and adding a dash of sodium chloride does not make brackish water anyhow.

So if you want your mollies to go back to brackish estuarine conditions, add marine salt mix, but make sure their tankmates are brackish tolerant also.

The use of salt is really subjective and most of it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
Example, I could start putting a spoon full of koolaid in my tanks every water change. The fish seem to like it, they seem active, they seem happy, therefore koolaid must be healthy for them.

Much of the reasoning behind salt use in tanks comes from a misunderstanding of the term 'salts'.

People say to add salt with mollies because some mollies come from estuarine conditions (i.e. brackish). Mollies are perfectly adaptable to fresh or salt conditions, though, and adding a dash of sodium chloride does not make brackish water anyhow.

So if you want your mollies to go back to brackish estuarine conditions, add marine salt mix, but make sure their tankmates are brackish tolerant also.

Thanks for the break down! Really helped. I think I will see how they handle the water conditions now and if they are not active or showing signs of stress ill do a PWC and add in a bit.

Using Aquarium Salt

So I was thinking of adding some Dalmatian mollies to my 55g community tank but I was wondering if the absolutely need the salt in my aquarium and if I do will affect the others in the community negatively

Hello Fish...

Mollies are Livebearers and historically come from streams and rivers that contain traces of salt. Biologically, they're bodies are designed to thrive in slightly brackish water conditions. But, they'll adapt to near fresh water conditions.

It's perfectly safe for all your other fish and aquarium plants if you use no more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of your replacement water. This amount will benefit the fishes' immune system and keep parasites in a dormant state. Most parasites that infect fish don't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water. That's why salt is used so much to treat infections in fish.

If you decide against using salt, which is your choice, then do your fish and plants a favor and keep the tank water pure. This is done through large, weekly water changes.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

Not to be controversial but that is at the least bit misleading. Parasites do live in slightly salted water, and they don't go 'dormant' because of it. Certain ones may be adversely affected, obviously, since we use this as a treatment, but it's not like you can go to a brackish water system and never find parasites.

Just to clarify, mollies adapt to fully freshwater systems just fine, not just 'near fresh'. They are euryhaline which means they can adapt to a wide range of salinities and likewise thrive in them, although I do agree that they prefer to live in estuarine conditions in general.

I think it's probably more correct to say that most live bearers just don't care. They're not adapted to be in hard water; they're adapted to be adaptable. Mollies especially are found in some very soft, acidic conditions naturally, as well has extremely hard desert lakes and brackish estuaries.

Using Aquarium Salt

Not to be controversial but that is at the least bit misleading. Parasites do live in slightly salted water, and they don't go 'dormant' because of it. Certain ones may be adversely affected, obviously, since we use this as a treatment, but it's not like you can go to a brackish water system and never find parasites.

Just to clarify, mollies adapt to fully freshwater systems just fine, not just 'near fresh'. They are euryhaline which means they can adapt to a wide range of salinities and likewise thrive in them, although I do agree that they prefer to live in estuarine conditions in general.

Hello jeta...

A difference of opinion is fine, absolutely. Although, I don't really think our two posts are radically different. Just wanted to make sure it was clear. I said "Most" parasites don't tolerate salt well. Parasites live in all our tanks, but in a dormant state waiting for a lapse in tank management that creates an environment for them to move in the water and locate a host. Glad to know we're in partial agreement.

Sound tank management will keep the fish healthy and healthy fish are rarely infected by parasites.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B

Back
Top Bottom