Mollies gender.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthony96

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do i tell what gender my mollies are? (Could you plz show some pics to help me)

There is no shortage of pics and descriptions online. A quick google search for "sexing mollies" yielded instant results, but I'll throw you a bone anyway. This is a link to another forum, where someone posted a picture.
Sexing Mollies

There is no shortage of pics and descriptions online. A quick google search for "sexing mollies" yielded instant results, but I'll throw you a bone anyway. This is a link to another forum, where someone posted a picture.
Sexing Mollies

Ok so is that pic correct bout the gender

Yes. I wouldn't have posted an incorrect one. Lol
The male Molly (like most livebearers) has what is called a gonopodium. The anal fin is elongated, narrow, and forms a hollow channel for directly depositing sperm I to the female. The female lacks this specialized structure and simply has the "normal" triangular anal fin.
Sometimes the fish will hold the anal fin against the body, making it more difficult to spot. When this happens, best to compare specimens. Males will generally be smaller, but with longer dorsal fins. Females will have a rounder body, and if not exceptionally dark colored, may have a visible "gravid spot" near the anal fin. The gravid spot is a dark colored internal spot consisting of unborn fry and other associated lady bits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom