Mollies...please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, nothing at all happening here. I have no idea what's going on, but there are no babies, and none of the 3 fish even look pregnant anymore! Frustrated isn't the word! I wish I had someone who could take a look and see what's happened :(

I would just let them give birth in the tank. I never had any luck with the birthing boxes. I had two female that got really big and then all of a sudden they looked like they had given birth. It was their first pregnancy. About a week later I found several tiny fry hiding among the plants. I think they abort some and then go on to give birth to a few live ones. I had a higher success rate when I just left them in the tank. I have a ton of plants, driftwood, and hiding places. You will eventually get fry. Then you will begin to wish they would slow down. LOL.

A lot of people talking about temperature for mollys, I have my at about 26 degrees C. I'm from the uk so we that's what I work in. I don't know if in the uk they are kept at lower temperatures but everyone I speak to and everything I read from the uk says to keep mollys between 24-28 degrees C. Anyone got any advise? I am looking to introduce about 7-10 other breeds of fish into the tank as will be a show tank.

I have 2 mollies about this size now.... How long after did they give birth???

Ignore this comment 2 mins after writing it I saw a tiny baby zooming round the tank followed by about 15 others. But a lot where eaten lol... Natural selection and all that

I've still had no babies lol, got 2 prego mollies again at the moment, I've been adding to my tank recently, I now have one beautiful male ram (female died the day after I bought her) and I have a pair of kribensis in there, I'm getting rid of a few mollies next week as I've got a lot of fish now lol

Cool :) I have around 15 mollies so some are going, will keep a good breeding pair though. I want prettier fish lol

I have 4 but that's all that in the tank as it's a new set up. But I have about 5 babies ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401106143.058890.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401106154.979944.jpg

Here are some. Do you think its worth trying to catch these and put them in the nursery?

I do if you think they will get eaten, I would buy one of those clip on nets that will separate the babies from the there fish

Yeah I've got one of those, I also use a breeder that has a separate part the babies can escape to that the adults can't get to. But use a net one or something just to separate

If you can't catch them, I have had luck with catching my danios by putting a huge clear plastic bag in and waiting, they can't see the bag and will swim right in.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401106928.254178.jpg you can't see many fish really unless you look hard but there's my angel fish, my kribs at the back and a few mollies

Well.... The plan was to catch the 4 adult fish and put them in a bag... Check.... Catch the 4 babies I had left... Check.... Moved a ornament found 3 more and caught them... Then let the adults back in... Then see another swimming around as bold as brass lol. Ordeal over and have 8 fry. But would have 9 but one died when i move the ornament :(.... But overall a success

Back
Top Bottom