Molly community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipsqueakkk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 29 gallon up and running and I have decided to have mollies. I would like there to be fish at every level of the tank. Advice on which kinds of fish and mollies and the number of fish I could keep would be great. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Maybe 4 mollies, 4 guppies for the top and maybe 6-7 of a smaller species of cory catfish for the bottom. But you might want to wait for a second opinion on this. Edit-You could probably up the amount of guppies and mollies to maybe 5-6 but then that might be overstocking.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! It's so hard to know what would look best and what would be best for the fish :(

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It depends on the mollies. 6 sailfins may be pushing it, but 6 Dalmatians or blacks is fine

The community fish I've had with them have been great with mollies and I find the mollies hold their own.

Rosy barbs, yo yo loaches, bn catfish, neons, other live bearers, rasbora's, even angle fish (so far :) ) have been ok.

Note this is not considering stocking.

Dalmation mollies x4 for middle
Furcata rainbows x8 for top/middle
Peppered cory cats x6 for bottom
Otocinclus x6 for all over

We have a 20 gallon Molly tank with a bunch of juvenile Molly's and 4 Cory cats. Honestly - for us the mollies fill every level. Even in my 75 I have 3 mollies and they are all over the place, sometimes hanging at the bottom, sometimes at the surface, and sometimes hanging with the tiger barbs and giant danios in the middle. So many beautiful variations of mollies it makes a great tank to watch. Just be careful about the genders if you don't want babies. We went with all females but even then ended with some babies from a couple that were pregnant when we got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom