Molly Gestation period

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long is the the gestation period for a Molly? Ive tried looking it up online myself, but I get different answers.
The most common answer I find is 4 weeks. However, some answers say that 4 weeks is for guppies and platys, and that Mollys are closer to 8 weeks.

I ask because I just passed the 6 week mark on some Mollys I have in my QT. They have not come in contact with any male Mollys since being purchased and brought home, which means they are at least 6 weeks pregnant.

Anybody on here that purposely breed Mollys and have a solid answer for this?

I think the gestation period is 21-30 days, but i aren't 100% sure. Before your molly has the babies it would be a good idea to either set up a different smaller tank where they can grow or at least make sure in the big tank there a floating plants e.t.c they can hide in as other fish, maybe including the mother, will eat the fry. Hope this helps

Mollys take 4-6 weeks depending on temp. The higher the temp the shorter the time.

If your females are small, they may have thrown just a few young and eaten them before you had the chance to see them.

hmm.. well, Im a little over 6 weeks at this point and they are both clearly still pregnant looking. Water temp has been a fairly steady 78 degrees. I'll give them another week before I start giving them stern looks I suppose.

They are in my 10 gallon QT. Last week I purchased a few fake plants, so there should be enough places to hide and feel safe.

I dont honestly care what happens to the fry, I just want the females to stop being pregnant so that I can add them to my main tank. There are other fish I want to get, but Id rather wait until the QT is unoccupied.

Back
Top Bottom