Molly help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have 4 mollies 1 male and 3 female. Lately the male has been harassing the guppies that I keep with them in my 55g brackish. Today I came home to find another guppy dead with its tail torn apart. Would adding another male Molly help distract him? Or should I try something else?
Stock
4 Molly
5 guppies
2 swordtails
2 Indian glassfish(getting more soon)
7 bumblebee goby
6 ghost shrimp

Keep calm and drum on

It might be over stocked? maybe not enough space for the males to live in peace. I had a similar problem in my 30 gallon. I had 6 guppies 2 male and 4 female and one male killed the other :L

There's only 2 males in the tank that I'm aware of and the other is a glass fish. They all seem to hang around the surface. Could that have something to do with it?

Keep calm and drum on

If I had to guess its something along the lines of M/F ratio. From my understanding most live bearers *can* interbreed. Maybe aggressive behavior because of the other males even if they are another species.

I can't really say as I have not kept mollies though. Never found much interest in them.

Caleb

I talked to a friend that works for my lfs and she suggested adding more female mollies to keep him occupied. So I took her advice and added 2 more female making it 1 male 5 female. So far he's leaving the guppies alone.

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom