Molly Identification Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewEscude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello i didnt know where to post this but im really confused. I got these two yellow fishes (here's the picture) Screenshot by Lightshot I dont know what breed they are. The guy at the pet shop told me theyre called Xifo Molly but i cant find the fish on google that looks like mine. Is it a swordtail or what?
Anyway this female looks like she's pregnant. Is it possible that her and my guppy male have bred ? Because i saw him chasing her for days in the tank. Sorry im new here so i didn't know where to post this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she looks like she she has bred, you likely got her that way. Livebearers tend to breed like crazy, and generally speaking, if you get a female, assume she has already bred and has eggs in her.
I am looking at a small screen, and your image is a bit blurry so I can't tell if she is a yellow molly, or a yellow platy, or a yellow swordtail. I will try to get a better look at it when I have access to a bigger device, unless some other posters who have larger screens beat me to it. :) I am guessing sword tail though since swords tails are Xiphophorus helleri in latin and are often refered to as Xifos. But, don't my word on that yet until I can see the picture better.

Hello i didnt know where to post this but im really confused. I got these two yellow fishes (here's the picture) Screenshot by Lightshot I dont know what breed they are. The guy at the pet shop told me theyre called Xifo Molly but i cant find the fish on google that looks like mine. Is it a swordtail or what?
Anyway this female looks like she's pregnant. Is it possible that her and my guppy male have bred ? Because i saw him chasing her for days in the tank. Sorry im new here so i didn't know where to post this. Thanks in advance.

I am no expert by any means. Looks like a pregnant platy to me. My platy had babies recently and I didn't want the fry to be eaten, so I scooped everyone that I could find and put them in a small plastic container and a fake plant and half an algae tab for the night. I was not expecting babies and this happened around midnight so nothing was open. Some people get a breeding net or container. You may want to google it, if you want to preserve the fry. Luckily the local fish store girl wanted them for her own tank and promised she wouldn't use them as food for the other fish.

No matter the breed, that fish looks pregnant to me.

Thanks guys. I also posted this thread on some other forums and people said its a yellow swordtail. Now that I look at her and comapre her to the swortails they look pretty much same... And its weird,she has the same size of her stomach for a while now. I'm not sure she's pregnant. But she could be.

She looks just like my creamsicle molly. She is pregnant. It takes up to three months for them to give birth. The creamsicle mollies seem to stay pregnant forever before giving birth. My black mollies have almost 2 pregnancies done before the creamsickle gets her one pregnancy done. Stress can delay birthing too. Guppies will sometimes breed with mollies. I had that happen with one of mine. The fry were interesting looking. Mollies can retain sperm for up to 6 months from one breeding and keep having babies.

Back
Top Bottom