Molly - rapid (side) fin movement and clamped tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Only the Molly in a ten gallon established tank. He has rapid (side) fin movement and clamped tail and starting to look skinny in his belly. Basically looks like the side fins are doing all the work and te tail fine is just being dragged around. A very labored look to getting around! He's still eating though- Does this sound like a parasite issue?

Could be wasting diease, What are your water parameters? I had a whole tank of guppies just die like this, I am treating with fungus guard becaue finally after losing 12 guppies, one finally showed body fungus. I had no other symptoms. the bodies were perfect, no bloody fins, the last hour of the last guppy before treating with Fungus guard did just like your molly.

Petsmart:
Care for your aquarium quickly and conveniently with Tetra Fungus Guard. Ideal for freshwater aquariums, this treatment treats a variety of fungus and bacteria-related conditions on tropical fish and Goldfish and protects against secondary infections.

• For use in freshwater aquariums
  • Treats a variety of fungus and bacteria-related conditions on tropical fish and Goldfish, including fungus, tail, fin or mouth rot, hemorrhagic septicemia, clamped fins and dropsy
  • Also clears open red sores, eye cloud, pop eye and swim bladder disease
  • Add 1 tablet to each 10 gal. of aquarium water
  • Works without raising the water temperature
  • Active Ingredients: nitrofurazone, furzolidone and potassium dichromate
This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer.
Keep out of reach of children. For aquarium use only. Not for use on fish food.

Available in a 1.38-oz., 8 pack to treat an 80-gal. aquarium or smaller

Oceangirl said:
Could be wasting diease, What are your water parameters? I had a whole tank of guppies just die like this, I am treating with fungus guard becaue finally after losing 12 guppies, one finally showed body fungus.

See params at End of Post Has the fungus guard been working for you?

Just checked on him and It's not looking good for the little guy .. Hiding under a rock, large gasps with less side fin movement. Tail fin still clamped.

Last night I added a dose of API general cure because it treats for internal parasites and wasting disease. I'm supposed to wait another 24 hours before adding a second dose.... But I'm not sure he is going to make it another 24 hours the way he is looking now. How long should it take To see a turn around once medication goes into the tank?

He still has life in him.... Pecking at pieces of food on bottom of the tank and eating whatever be can get his lips on. But the tail fin is like its paralyzed.

I could put him out of his misery but don't want to if there is a chance he can turn this around. What should I do?

Ps - if he does not make it can I treat the tank with fungus guard or this API general cure to kill the parasites or fungus without having to take everything out / sterilize the tank and start over? The thought of having to cycle this tank again is about as exciting as the thought of a hole in the head. !!

keep up your treatment, and pray. You might lose a couple because they have gone too far. I hope they perk up

Lost him the other day. I am going to sterilize that tank and start it up again. I've got some pregnant mollies that need a quiet place to birth soon. Any advice on how to sterilize?

I use the bleach method, bleach then rinse really well SEVERAL TIMES. I'd boil or throw out the gravel though. I air dry/ sun dry everything for a couple days just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom