Mono's are brakish right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am just curious, mono's are brackish species that get like '8 inches right? I saw a couple at a family owned pet store the other day, and they were in with the tiger barbs. So I turned to the lady and said "arnt they brackish?" and she kinda just shrugged and walked away (it was a small petstore that I went to in alabama, don't even remember what it was called) anyways, so I came home and looked it up but have found some sites say freshwater, brackish, and saltwater. So I am just curious to know the truth lol.

Yup, brackish! :) And they grow far bigger than most tanks can support, because not only do they grow around 10" in height but they need to be kept in a large group.

Monos are, like many brackish fish, anadromous. They don't live in freshwater: they migrate there to spawn. Keeping them in freshwater is not appropriate in the long term. If you keep them, provide them with the correct environment which is brackish to saltwater (the older they are the higher the salinity, preferably, culminating in full saltwater conditions).

They're not a beginner fish, and the tank size they need must be substantial: it's not just a question of fish size as I say, but of group numbers and swimming space.

Back
Top Bottom