Monster Goldfish at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our winters are very harsh.. This past winter was mild, and it still got down to 20 degrees, about a foot of ice on the trough, and about 3-4' of snow. The commons are fine, but I am not sure how a fancy would handle that.

Commons and other single tails handle winters without an issue. Fancies, due to their odd body shape, have a harder time and are prone to buoyancy issues as the temp starts to drop. My breeder actually keeps and raises the larger portion of his fancies in ponds, with the exception of delicate ones such as bubbles. They are outside 365 days a year unless they start to show buoyancy issues at which point he moves them inside to his fish house. You just have to be prepared in advance to move fancies indoors in the event its necessary. :)

Well, I could move him/her into a big rubber maid bin in the basement, it stays about 60 degrees through the winter down there.

Does anyone know what kind of goldfish this is?

He kinda does look like that. I'll have to ask them when I am there, maybe they know.

And if they don't, that's scary.

Because how would they be able to tell someone how to take care of him?

"Well, it's a...it's a...big goldfish..."

Actually, dont be surprised if they dont know! Stores near me mislabel goldfish ALL the time. One even 'creates' names of goldfish and gives them special descriptions when they dont know what they are. Guarentee they will probably just say its a 'goldfish' and leave it at that. :)

Well, he's officially ours! I called to have him held, I didn't want anyone to take him! Hopefully we can pick him up today :D

Woo-hoo!

Now you know as soon as you get him settled, we have to see pics...

And then, when he goes into your new pond.

Well he's here! We had to bring him home in the shipping box in a huge bag. It decided to snow, so right now he has to stay in a rubbermaid container with a 5-15 filter :ermm:
Hopefully the weather will decide to turn... Then he can go out and meet his new friends! Turns out he is a Sarasa Comet. If the weather gets about 60 degrees, maybe I will get in the trough and clean it!! :eek: So cold!! :lol:

Well he's here! We had to bring him home in the shipping box in a huge bag. It decided to snow, so right now he has to stay in a rubbermaid container with a 5-15 filter :ermm:
Hopefully the weather will decide to turn... Then he can go out and meet his new friends! Turns out he is a Sarasa Comet. If the weather gets about 60 degrees, maybe I will get in the trough and clean it!! :eek: So cold!! :lol:

Is that what the store told you? H doesnt look anything like a sarasa comet. They are distinctly red and white with long, long flowy finnnage and slender bodies. 'Sarasa' means red on white. I still think he is a hibuna. Lets see if this pic of a sarasa comes up- if it doesnt, Ill try something else.

http://www.hazorea-aquatics.com/com.../product/ff5997413521d8e58ad89dff1931692c.jpg

edit- link worked! just click it for a pic of a sarasa

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom