Monsters in my Nano (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 12gal JBJ Nanocube Deluxe. This morning before lights on I nocticed a small bearded fireworm crawling on my rock. I ran to get the tweezers to snatch it up and by the time I got back it had crawled under a rock. No problem... I will just move the rock and get it. Well, I moved the rock and it slipped to another one. I moved that and proceeded to find two more big fireworms (and a couple serpent stars I had no idea I had). I managed to capture all of the bearded fireworms, but not until I had torn my entire nano apart. Guess I will have to spend the morning re-aquascaping.

Attachments

• aquarium_007_585x438.jpg
    aquarium_007_585x438.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 217
  • aquarium_010_585x438.jpg
    aquarium_010_585x438.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 204
Wow! In a 12 gallon tank, those are monsters indeed! :) Glad you were able to get them out! You'll have to post a picture of the serpent stars too.

You'll have to post a picture of the serpent stars too.
I would if I could find them again. Both were maybe 4-5inches across, dark brown/black in color with white pinstrips across them. I really hope they are not bad for my reef. That is the main problem I have run into with Florida aqua-cultured LR...mantis shrimp, fire worms, bad crabs etc...

Here is a pic of a monster I pulled out of my 72gal reef (only after it injured my BTA). It was as big around as my thumb and over 10 inches long...makes me leary of digging around with my bare hands!

Attachments

• copy__3__of_uploadable_pics_007_585x438_154.jpg
    copy__3__of_uploadable_pics_007_585x438_154.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 182
  • copy__5__of_uploadable_pics_001_585x438_848.jpg
    copy__5__of_uploadable_pics_001_585x438_848.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 167
nasty! I am sure you will be happy in the long run for the work you did today.

that is some nasty stuff.....so how bad are these bearded fireworms? What all do they harm?

how did you get it out? i would be scared to put my hand anywhere near that thing heh

Bearded fireworms are unrelenting predators and very destructive in the reef tank. They will destroy whatever crosses their path. One almost killed my BTA, it has since recovered and is doing great. Normal bristle worms are beneficial in a tank, but these are far from normal.

Back
Top Bottom