Moon lighting suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessilyn86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'm new to this and need some suggestions. We just got a 60 gallon SW tank. We are in the beginning stage of adding fish,coral, etc. What do you guys suggest for moonlighting? Is it better to have blue and white lighting? Just blue? I've seen posts where people had red and blue lighting.

Also, how bright should moon lighting be? Does it harm the fish/corals if it's too much lighting?

1 black lip butterfly fish
1 dwarf hawk fish
1 arrow crab
Cleaner crew ( hermits and snails )
Small red starfish, forgot the name but it's a more durable starfish.
Mini brittle stars
Sarcophyton latum coral
Green star polyp

Do you have white and actinic lighting already and want to add a moonlight? What type of fixture do you have? If it's t5 you run both white and actinic together for around 7-8 hours a day, then moonlights for a few hours either side of that. When I had t5 that's how I did it. Moonlights are for your viewing pleasure (I had cheap LEDs) so not too bright and remember your tank needs total darkness too...

I use blue automotive led strips and a 120volt to 12volt converter( a simple play station plug)

I'm completely new to having a saltwater tank. Are you suppose to leave moon lights on all night or is there a period of time you should have no lights on at all? What lighting schedule do you guys have and what type of lights does everyone use?

We are currently using T5 2 bulb lighting system for daytime and a small blue LED light strip for nighttime.

Are you suppose to leave moon lights on all night or is there a period of time you should have no lights on at all?

Do you have white and actinic lighting already and want to add a moonlight? What type of fixture do you have? If it's t5 you run both white and actinic together for around 7-8 hours a day, then moonlights for a few hours either side of that. When I had t5 that's how I did it. Moonlights are for your viewing pleasure (I had cheap LEDs) so not too bright and remember your tank needs total darkness too...

I saw this post a couple up. It looks like you're question is already answered. You're tank needs a few hours of pitch black. I guess you may get up, turn on moon lighting, then hit the main lights when you go to work, school, etc., then cut the main light off when you get home, and then kill the moon light when you go to bed. Sound right, folks? Btw: I keep freshwater fish, not salt water. I haven't a clue.

Get a timer for your lights - it will change your life! Yes, as already mentioned above 6-7 hours of full light with a few hours of moonlight either side is plenty. My tank has almost 12 hours darkness...

Back
Top Bottom