Moon Lights; worth the extra cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Genix

Aquarium Advice Regular
i'm shopping for a 48" PC strip for my 90 gallon, and i've narrowed it down to the 260watt coralife, and the 260watt coralife with moonlights. the moonlights sound cool, but cost an additional $60. i've never seen them in operation before. can you really see anything or is it just a gimmick?

I would order them seperately. check out www.thelebos.com they have an awsome set and then you can get the LunarTracker and that will automatically adjust your moonlights to the cycle of the moon.

It's not a gimick, they 1) Make the tank look nice at night and 2) help some corals spawn!

$60 seems a little expensive, you could order a set from The Lebos and attach them to your light yourself.

I've got the coralife MH fixture with the moonlights, I am not sure how much more they cost, but I guess they are kinda cool...... it has a weird effect when the lights are off. I could do either with or without them though.

I say they are worth it. I have the same corallife fixture with the moonlighting. You can see what is going on in the tank during the night hours. Also when the actinics come on first thing in the morning its less of an abrupt lighting change and the animals seem to come out of there night time hiding less "jittery" for lack of a better word.

Been told they are not enough light for everything you may want to keep down the road but they leave ample room at top of tank to hang some MH when your ready.

Are the moonlights worth it? They're a fraction of the overall cost of a marine system.

Besides that, the look of moonlights in a room at night cannot be beat IMHO.

Mike

BTW, got mine from Lebo too.

Absolutely worth it!! I believe that your aquarium is utilized 24/7 with the moon lights..not just when your regular lights are on. They're beautiful and peaceful to look at, especially with all the other lights turned off and the surface water is disrupted a bit.

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

scroll down the page we all got the 3 LED blue.. I have 5 on my 125 and it is very nice at night. If you have an old cordless phone power supply it will work fine with these lights, just check the watts on the unit..
A bunch of reefers I know got these and they are great... Cheap and easy to hook up, if your just a little handy it can be done..

I love my moonlights. They create a nice blue shimmering effect into the tank that is pretty sexy. I have the Aqualight lunar and the moonlights are okay. I have used the add on coralife 1 watt moonlights in the past and I like them better. A bit brighter in the tank. The are designed to slide into the track of the coralife fixtures and you can adjust them to where you want.

Lebo lights

Hey. Saw that you had the Lebo lights. I've been thinking about getting these for my tank.

How do you like them? Do they really have a wider light field?

I have a 72gal bow front (48in across). Should I get 2 or 3 lights?

TIA

alright well that settles it. i'll go with moonlights, not neccessarily the ones in the coralife strip. thanks guys!

I have the 48" 260 watt orbit, it's either coralife or current that makes it. I love it. To second the opinions here, the moonlights are cool, they do light up quite a bit and it's worth it. Oh yeah, I also have one of the 1 watt moonlights in my 15G tank, I like it alot and it was easy to install.

Back
Top Bottom