More cycling questions ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tell us how you acclimated and over what time period?

Sometimes it is just the stress of being caught and acclimated again and again that pushes it over it's limit.

I acclimated over a 30 min time period, floated the bag for 15 mins closed, then opened it and added a small amt of tank water at a time over 15 more mins. I read after maybe drip acclimated would have been best.

With the other fish doing just fine right now, must of been that fish. I just got unlucky I guess. Kinda bummed me out beinf one of my first fish.. but I suppose it happens.

Hey catmel...I'm a newbie to saltwater too, so I'm no expert. But maybe that actually helps youbecause I'm right with you. I have dripped the 6 lil guys in my tank, and they've all done well so far, especially the clown who is loving her aquarium it seems. :) I've asked on here many times, and I just read a book and the agreed preferred method is the drip. It gives the fish a chance to get used to your water a little better. Temperature, it seems to me, is secondary to chemical composition of the water for the fish. just my half cent ;)

That would be a 15 minute acclimation period. IMO that is not nearly long enough. The acclimation starts when you start adding tank water to the bag the fish came in. When I did the bag acclimation I would float for 15 -20 minutes, then open the bag and attach it to the tank rim. I would add a few (2 -4) ounces of tank water every 5 minutes for an hour. If the bag got to be 3/4 full I would empty some out (back to abouot 25% full) and continue the additon. Now I drip acclimate using either a Pisces drip acclimator or just airline with a knot tied in it.

Over an hour? If that certainly helps Ill make sure to do it next time. Ive seem to read that 30 mins ( although now I understand with tank water slowly added + 15 mins float closed) was good.. Ill try it when I get my next fish (and unfortunatly with the ich its going to be quite a long while)

Last edited:
I find the drip gives me time to move things around or just fiddle in the tank while I am waiting.

Good advice.

Thanks again for everyones help through this really tough and difficult time, it really is much appreicated.

Back
Top Bottom