More new guy questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eelpout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Python question:
1st PWC time. Small # of small fish (fish-in cycling) in a 37 Gal. I've got some small fry (cory+guppy+WCMM) and small shrimp in my new, freshly planted tank. I think that if I try and suck into the gravel, as I've seen demonstrated online, I will uproot the plants and suck up the little fish/shrimp. I was thinking I'd secure a piece of the old nylons over the tube w/ a rubber band and leave the gravel alone for another time. -Draw water slowly from an upper corner that's free of fish.

Another idea for my upcoming batch of fry: Wrap some of that old nylon around the intake tube on my external hanging filter. Would that work? Would it burn out the motor on the Topfin 40 filter? I saw it suck up a very small shrimp already. Is it OK to set the filter on low-flow (which makes the intake hole smaller) indefinitely, or will that burn out the electric motor?

I use under-gravel filters years ago. It seems like it was a much simpler, and I would think infinitely more effective method, than this external filter. 1. It seems like you draw water over a much larger filter surface area for much greater volume of bacteria. 2. It would keep the temperature the same above and beneath the gravel vs colder under the gravel. 3. I recall not having to vacuum the gravel much at since the "stuff" just got pulled into the gravel and eaten by the bacteria. Are these assumptions correct of not? What is the best option for a lightly stocked/well planted tank?

Plant question: I want to add more plants to my tank. Every place I've seen with plants for sale also has other stuff in their plant display tank: big tad poles, big goldfish, snails etc. I want to clear the hitchhikers off the plants. I'd like them to be parasite free before they enter my water. Is a chlorine water dip then rinse w/ treated water an OK option? How much chlorine per gallon in the bucket? 1 tablespoon? 3 minute dip then heavy rinse? Are there a better/safer options?

Good or Bad ideas?

Advice please. Thanks

Python question:
1st PWC time. Small # of small fish (fish-in cycling) in a 37 Gal. I've got some small fry (cory+guppy+WCMM) and small shrimp in my new, freshly planted tank. I think that if I try and suck into the gravel, as I've seen demonstrated online, I will uproot the plants and suck up the little fish/shrimp. I was thinking I'd secure a piece of the old nylons over the tube w/ a rubber band and leave the gravel alone for another time. -Draw water slowly from an upper corner that's free of fish.

Hello E... I took an aquarium sponge filter and cut a long, thin piece from it and attached it to the end of the syphon with a rubber band. This way, you only remove dirty water and nothing that needs to stay in the tank.

Another idea for my upcoming batch of fry: Wrap some of that old nylon around the intake tube on my external hanging filter. Would that work? Would it burn out the motor on the Topfin 40 filter? I saw it suck up a very small shrimp already. Is it OK to set the filter on low-flow (which makes the intake hole smaller) indefinitely, or will that burn out the electric motor?

A piece of ladies' nylons will work to cover the intake or use a piece of netting from an old fish net. A rubber band works fine to attach it.

I use under-gravel filters years ago. It seems like it was a much simpler, and I would think infinitely more effective method, than this external filter. 1. It seems like you draw water over a much larger filter surface area for much greater volume of bacteria. 2. It would keep the temperature the same above and beneath the gravel vs colder under the gravel. 3. I recall not having to vacuum the gravel much at since the "stuff" just got pulled into the gravel and eaten by the bacteria. Are these assumptions correct of not? What is the best option for a lightly stocked/well planted tank?

Undergravel filters don't work well for planted tanks, unless you use pots for the plants. You don't need to vacuum a planted tank, vacuuming will remove plant nutrients. All you need to do is remove and replace half the tank water weekly, with pure treated tap water. You just need to syphon it out into buckets and reverse the process to replace the water.

Plant question: I want to add more plants to my tank. Every place I've seen with plants for sale also has other stuff in their plant display tank: big tad poles, big goldfish, snails etc. I want to clear the hitchhikers off the plants. I'd like them to be parasite free before they enter my water. Is a chlorine water dip then rinse w/ treated water an OK option? How much chlorine per gallon in the bucket? 1 tablespoon? 3 minute dip then heavy rinse? Are there a better/safer options?

I just rinse the plants well before I put them into the tank. I don't use any chemicals in or around my tanks. I do use a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every five gallons of my water change water. That trace of salt effectively kills any harmful bacteria. The fish and plants are completely safe with this small amount of dissolved salt in their water.

Good or Bad ideas?

Advice please. Thanks

Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm never too busy to chat about the "waterkeeping" hobby.

B

BBradbury said:
Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm never too busy to chat about the "waterkeeping" hobby.

B

Speaking of waterkeeping. I am breeding guppies what should the ph range from and what do you feel to be the best method of growing/making green water.

Back
Top Bottom