More than one powder blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have or has anyone ever tried keeping more than one powder blue tang in the same tank?

The reason I ask is because I have one, a beautiful healthy one in my display tank which is waiting for its new home hopefully arriving next week. The new home is a 220 gallon corner tank.

In my QT I have another powder blue around the same size and also a very healthy specimen. He is ready to be transferred to the DT however I plan on adding them both at the same time once the new one is set up.

I believe I 'saved' this tangs life as it came in to our LFS by mistake on a large customer order and was about to go into their tanks. I know for sure their tanks have ich and I also know for sure anyone in my area would have taken it home, thrown it in their ich riddled tank and it would be dead within weeks. The owner of the shop gave me the fish so cheap it might as well have been free.

I hope I did the right thing as not only have I potentially saved a fishes life, 2 powder blues would look amazing.

I personally think that a 220 corner is too small for 2 PBT. That being said, they are exceptionally prone to ich themselves, so i wouldnt try it. I attempted adding a purple and yellow tang to my 125 and the purple developed ich. If you do decide to attempt it, accept at some point either one or both are going to stress out and possibly develop ich

Ich won't be a problem as all of my fish have been treated by hypo salinity conditions and all new additions to he tank get quarantined and treated for white spot whether they have it or not.

I agree it could be an issue in terms of space. I'm hoping by adding them together at the same time to the new aquarium they will be more likely to get along.

I was also hoping for opinions from people who have tried and tested this scenario however I'm concerned this hasn't been attempted due to its risk

Although through your actions youve greatly reduced the risk of any infections, ich is still a possibility. Ive seen numerous huge tanks 500g+ with more than one PBT. (more specifically the 700g setup at a fish shop i worked at) but that tank was 10' long and had roughly 1,200g total volume. I wish you luck but its not something id try in a 220

Thanks I really

Hope it works as I love these fish and they deserve the best treatment like any other fish.

I do have a back up plan if anything goes wrong which is my friends tank. In fact he is hoping things do not work put so he can take one lol

I've never seen it done, but would guess that it will not work well over time. They are aggressive and putting two in a smaller tank alliws them to bump into each other more.

Two powder blues, even in a very large tank is asking for trouble. Certain tangs, like the clown and powder blue are just too aggressive most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom