Moss Wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunz05gunz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody has attempted to do a moss wall. I've started one with christmas moss and it hasn't grown at all in the past month. However, I have Christmas moss from another source that is just attached to my driftwood and it nearly doubles in size every week.

I'm wondering why is the wall growing so slowly. Is it that the moss wall has christmas moss from another location, or is it the light that its receiving since is placed vertically, somewhat in the shade. The tank gets 3.5wpg with Injected CO2.

Should I redo the moss wall with the moss that is in my driftwood or wait it out? Any other ideas would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Its basically a sandwich, where plastic mesh is the bread and the moss is the peanut butter. Suction cupped to the back.

Ok just checking, because they sell this stuff you stick to the back of the tank wall for the the wall effect of the xmas moss happens. Try to get new reflects for your lights that are more angled to get the light more directed to the wall, or just prop up the back of your light so that more direct light is pointing to it. You also might want dose fertz with it, you could also check the temp. mke sure it is under 77 degrees. Moss also likes some pretty good current so try to get a power head and point it towards the wall.

If none of that works I guess do what you said you could do, switch the moss and see what happens.

i really hope you get it to grow, i tried that method with some java moss, it worked really well but took some for it to fill in.

I'm interesting in making the wall too. You have any pics of your wall?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody has attempted to do a moss wall. I've started one with christmas moss and it hasn't grown at all in the past month. However, I have Christmas moss from another source that is just attached to my driftwood and it nearly doubles in size every week.

I'm wondering why is the wall growing so slowly. Is it that the moss wall has christmas moss from another location, or is it the light that its receiving since is placed vertically, somewhat in the shade. The tank gets 3.5wpg with Injected CO2.

Should I redo the moss wall with the moss that is in my driftwood or wait it out? Any other ideas would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

How about lean it forward a little bit at the bottom so the net will get more light? Like in this "design" if you look at the side
wallgy8.jpg

I anyone has any example photos of this, I would love to see it. I think it would be any interesting addition. Would it work with Java moss?

I will put up a picture of mine late tonight or tomorrow. It cheap and easy to do. I will also have a pic of the growth rate difference of the two christmass mosses as well.

I don't want to lean it incase any fish mange to get behing there. I have a feeling its the moss.

Java moss will work as well, not sure if it will look as full, but it will work.

Is the happy moss closer to the CO2 diffusor than the moss wall? My happy weeping moss is closer to the CO2 diffusor than my sad weeping moss, for what its worth, but I have faith the sad stuff will fill in, too. If you inject with a reactor (total diffusion) I wonder how a spray bar over a CO2 wall will affect growth...

I wish that was it but sadly its not. I have a feeling its just where I got the mosses from. The good moss doubles in size weekly. The other moss hasn't grown much at all. Maybe 1/2cm. My new tank is 2 months old now and things are settling and taking off except this wall. But anyways, I now have enough moss to redo the whole wall anyways, I'll give you guys pics tonight and you can see how big the difference is.

After looking at the wall I decided to rip is out. The moss was brown near the back and I think was dying. So for now the moss wall will be a no go. Maybe in my shrimp breeding tank I will do a mini one.

Back
Top Bottom