Moss Wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. So I went out and bought a bunch of java moss from a LFS. Was hoping to create a wall of moss, somehtign similiar to the one in this tutorial.

So went out and bought soem fiberglass window screen, the screen that goes in windows. But as I started, I realized two problems I hadn't thought of first.

1) The screen I got is not the right size. As I was in a rush, the store closing just as I got to their doors, I grabs the first package fo screen I saw. The holes in this mesh is 3mm. Do you think this would provide enough space for the Java Moss to grow out from? or should I go for soemthing bigger and if so, any suggestion, as I am not sure if I can find regular screen that has a hole of 7-8mm as recommended by the tutorial.

2) Forgot all about have a heater on the back wall of my tank. So what I was wodnering was this:

• Would Java Moss growing near the heater hidner its proformance?
  • Would the heater being so close to the java moss harm the moss in any way?
  • Another problem concernign the heater was how to attach the moss wall to the back of the tank while leaving an open space for the heater attachment fixture (a rectangular ficture with two suction cups.)
  • Will a plastic mesh so close to the heater cause any problems?

• Would Java Moss growing near the heater hidner its proformance?
  • Would the heater being so close to the java moss harm the moss in any way?
  • Another problem concernign the heater was how to attach the moss wall to the back of the tank while leaving an open space for the heater attachment fixture (a rectangular ficture with two suction cups.)
  • Will a plastic mesh so close to the heater cause any problems?

I think having it be warmer would be better, I know with anacharis, having it near the heater seems to have made it grow faster.

How warm is your tank supposed to be? If it's like 80, I don't think that'd be a problem, got some christmas moss growing in an 80 degree tank right now, no problems.

You can either cut out a section of screen for the heater to fit into, and sew the edges shut, move the heater to a different side of the tank, or, if your heater is submersible, just lay it on the bottom of the tank.

I would keep the mesh a good 2 inches away from the heater, just to be safe!

Take this with a grain of salt, I've never done what you're doing.

Well, I went out and bought soem plastic chicken wire. Better grid size, though a little bigger being at 1cm (2mm bigger then what the guide suggests)

Another problem I have come up with is the filter. The intake pipe is also on the back wall, which will mean I will be placing at least 3 different sections of this moss wall in my tank in hopes of getting the desired effect.

Java moss in filter intakes is a problem. I wouldn't recommend placing the edge of the wall any closer than 3" from the pump suction, and more would be preferred. You can move the filter to the side wall without loss of function if you want though. I think a submersible heater laid on the bottom of the tank as suggested above would be a good way to go. You do want some water movement past the heater though to avoid having a warm spot in one area of the tank.

I would go with a christmas moss wall, but I have a coupel problems. One I can't find a place that you can buy it and they ship to canada. And my LFS rarely carries stranger plants, been lucky yesterday and cought a LFS that just had a shipment arrive that wasn't all sold out yet.

Now looking at things, not too sure on how I will be doing this. My main problem is the fact that I have a canopy over my aquarium. So moving the filter isn't possible, unless I find something to replace the canopy with, as I do believe I have a jumper or two, as I've heard spashes in the middle of night.

So with the way it is set up now, I can move my heater, as I have foudn ti it is submersible. So heater isn't much of a problem. Filter is going to be a problem.

i was thinking of using one solid piece of the palstic chicken wire I have to cover the entire back of the tank. But then I run into the problem with the java moss running into the filter.

So now I am pondering another option. Having two java moss walls, one on each side fo the tank. This will keep the java moss away from the filter and wont require me to move the heater at all.

maybe you can put the black sponge stuff that this guy used Ron's java moss wall.

open up the mesh and put the moss in where you want it and then put the sponge in the area around where the filter will be. then close the mesh up and tie it up. i dont think it would look too bad

I like what he did there.

I'd only wish I could find the same type of mesh that all these people are using. Anything I find is flimsy. Due to this, I have another question:

What could I use to create a frame like struture for this wall? Hoping to do this so that it fits tightly against the side of the glass at all times, preventing smaller fish from getting in behind.

So one possible option I was htinking of was Balsa wood, but how well would that work? Not worried about the floating apsect, as I believe the suction cups would cancle that aspect out.

Man I wish I could find something that was more stiffer to solve all these issues.

I was looking at those, but I could only find white ones. Would rather use something a little darker.

After reading about Moss walls several years ago and then seeing this post I was inspired to try to do one!! I went out and got some screen, zip ties and suction cups! I built it last night and it looks good! I will post pics later on this evening!!

Be aware that some types of fish are prone to swimming behind it, getting caught and drowning when they get wedged into a tight place that doesn't allow their gills to open. Either place it out from the wall so fish can swim behind it, or take care to place it flush against the wall so nothing can fit its head behind it.

As I was relaxing and thinking about this moss wall while watching Tom and Jerry, I came up with an idea. I am going to go see if I can find soem foam like what was used in the one moss wall tutorial. And use this foam to creat a "seal" around the edge of the wall, that way when the suction cups are holding it to the wall, the "seal' is preventing any fish from getting in behind the wall.

Well, got the stuff I am thinkign I will be needing. Have assembled most of the wall so far, all I need now is to insert the moss, but it's late and tank lights are off.

Will see if I can post some pictures tomorrow or sometime.

Here is mine!!

Attachments

• S7301666.jpg
    S7301666.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 113
  • S7301668.jpg
    S7301668.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 86
  • S7301670.jpg
    S7301670.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 85
  • S7301671.jpg
    S7301671.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 91
finished!! Will try and remember to post new pics when it grows out some!!
:D

Attachments

• S7301672.jpg
    S7301672.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 79
  • S7301673.jpg
    S7301673.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 70
  • S7301674.jpg
    S7301674.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts