Mosses on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, do you know how to get christmas/java moss on driftwood? Will they eventually grow on the wood once attached long enough? Thanks!

All I ever did was take some black cotton thread and tied it on. Eventually it will attach and the thread will dissolve. Just be sure to get 100% pure cotton thread.

You can tie it, rubberband it, or glue it. I like the glue method personally because it's quick and easy. I've also just laid wood on top of a pile of moss and in a few months it attached to it and grew all over it.

I just set the moss next the driftwood, after a few months;

img_2181109_0_c5be09fc3b72fa239dd1afa43d031957.jpg

I just set the moss next the driftwood, after a few months;

img_2181254_0_c5be09fc3b72fa239dd1afa43d031957.jpg

Wow, beautiful picture, but can you elaborate on that? Did you have to use anything to make sure the moss stays put? Cause I'd imagine the flow of water would move the moss away from the driftwood. Thanks!

Attaching Moss to Driftwood

Hey guys, do you know how to get christmas/java moss on driftwood? Will they eventually grow on the wood once attached long enough? Thanks!

Hello Jet...

I used thin, black sewing thread and just put the moss on the driftwood and wrapped the thread around the driftwood. The moss will grow into the cracks and openings in the wood. Eventually, the thread will dissolve. By then, the moss will be well established.

I used Singapore moss on pieces of driftwood I found locally and the stuff grows very well in moderate light.

B

Wow, beautiful picture, but can you elaborate on that? Did you have to use anything to make sure the moss stays put? Cause I'd imagine the flow of water would move the moss away from the driftwood. Thanks!

Thanks, in this case I did not. The driftwood sits in a sheltered location so there is little current around it.

Back
Top Bottom