Most active/personable 5-8" cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for a single fish for a future 40b, that will currently be in a 20g long growout. I've narrowed down my options to these:

-lone Red jewel
-Female Salvini
-Female jack dempsey
-male convict
-2 female convicts (the pair would almost act as one I assume)
-blue acara
-rainbow (again, if i can find one)

-open to suggestions?

I already have a 7 month old firemouth with dithers in my 29g and he is as active as can be. I'd like something similar, and these are the ones I've seen come up.

Any previous/current owners of those listed want to share some experiences? I basically am looking for an active fish, that can be active without dithers, and still have decent human interaction.

I have a good stock in my 35 gallon tank. Out of all the fish in there my male ob hybrid is the most active. He has a lot of personality and is the most domiminate. Hes the first to great me when I enter the room. I know a lot of people dislike hybrids but I love mine.

I find male JDs to have better coloring. But a 40g would not be big enough for a full grown JD as they get bigger than the 5-8" you are interested in.

My female convict is very friendly and nicely coloured but has lived with oscars for most of her life and is probably quite sociable for that reason. If you are looking to do a pair of convicts, you should be prepared to deal with fry pretty much all the time as they mate over and over lol.

Best of luck, hope to see pics of whatever you decide to go with!

Back
Top Bottom