Most annoying things in fish keeping!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of times if you just type the question in google the answer will pop up on some linked forum but people dont want to take time to read other discussions. If I ask a question here its always after extensive googling...lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is usually why I get burnt out on forums after awhile, it's neat getting new people and stuff, but there's only so many

'I have 'blank' size tank, give me an exact stocking list?!?'

'How do I cure 'basic' disease?!?'

'Tell me what fish to get and after three pages I'll finally let you know what kind of fish I actually like!' (Which always makes me wonder why they got a tank in the first place)

'How do I switch gravel?'

It sounds awful but I've been in a few forums over the years and it's like so many people refuse to do a simple google search, or even search within a forum they took the time to register a profile on. Odds are if you have a question about something relating to the hobby your not the first, or even the hundredth person to have that issue. Of course there are always extenuating circumstances, but you can figure out a lot yourself.

Maybe that's against the idea of forums, but sometimes I feel like if this was a dog forum we'd get questions like 'I got a Saint Bernard, how big does it get?' And 'I just found out I have to WALK the dog?!?'

Rant over, was feeling snarky.

The fact that my tanks look great to me until the moment I look at them thought a camera. Then all I see is algea spots, damaged leaves, scratches, wires...

I ran out of Prime need to do water changes and top offs. The local store I use is closed on Monday and Tuesday. I forgot to go Sunday because of family issues and watching the NFL Playoffs. :banghead:
Now I have to wait to do water changes and top offs or drive across town to get my Prime. :(
:face palm:

I thought the idea of the forum was to get answers and help from fellow tankers. Newbies expecialy no matter how simple or complexed the questions need answers from those of us who know. I much prefer to answer them than hear of the desaster that happened because they didnt ask.
And sugestions of simple ways of doing things such as changing gravel what worked for you did you completly empty your tank or not. How often should filters be changed or cleaned. Yes simple questions easy google but why google when you have joined a network of people alot of whom have been in this hobby for a long long time and can answer alot quicker than finding sometimes a wrong answer on google.
I enjoy helping people and appriciate all the help I have recieved. If not for the caring people on here that answer the "stupid" questions I would have left the hobby just a few months in because simple questions in this hobby are not no brainers theres alot to learn and the best education is learning from those who know.
Theres also alot of different ways people do things some easier than others a water change can be made easier with a different way of doing it.
I have stayed in this forum because it seems to be the most people here willing to help with those "stupid" questions.

I thought the idea of the forum was to get answers and help from fellow tankers. Newbies expecialy no matter how simple or complexed the questions need answers from those of us who know. I much prefer to answer them than hear of the desaster that happened because they didnt ask.
And sugestions of simple ways of doing things such as changing gravel what worked for you did you completly empty your tank or not. How often should filters be changed or cleaned. Yes simple questions easy google but why google when you have joined a network of people alot of whom have been in this hobby for a long long time and can answer alot quicker than finding sometimes a wrong answer on google.
I enjoy helping people and appriciate all the help I have recieved. If not for the caring people on here that answer the "stupid" questions I would have left the hobby just a few months in because simple questions in this hobby are not no brainers theres alot to learn and the best education is learning from those who know.
Theres also alot of different ways people do things some easier than others a water change can be made easier with a different way of doing it.
I have stayed in this forum because it seems to be the most people here willing to help with those "stupid" questions.

Well put Nimo. I don't mind answering most basic questions or pointing people to articles or studies (In fact I keep a folder of about 20 - 30 bookmarks for just that reason) But the ones that bug me are the ones that want help with stocking without giving any helping information about what they want in a tank.

Like I said, I don't mind helping, but I also think people can help themselves too. I've seen it a few times where two or three people ask almost the exact same question on the same board. I don't have a problem discussing, I just get frustrated by it. There are plenty of ways to do things, even different forums can vary wildly on some suggestions, and that's great.

I also hate the 'no info to work with, gimme suggestions' lol.

The only posts that annoy me are the ones where dreadful decisions have already been made ' i have a 20g with 15 yellow labs, theyre only 2inchs, ive just added afew plecos, would some different cichlids be ok'? When you have a feeling of whatever you say cant make a bad situation much better. Or where advice for the wellbeing of the fish is ignored because 'i want! i want! i want! more fish'

People post their individual circumstances and they can differ from one to another. Posting a question even if they know the answer is also about a personal feeling of others taking interest in what youre doing, discussing something with others thats poiniant to what youre/theyre experiencing gives you a supporting warmth about the subject at hand.

Half of the things ive persinally posted ive already known the answer to and just want to start a discusion on the subject to feel abit of comfort in what im facing. Talking about our fish with other keepers is a great pass time and some people dont have friends thst keep fish to discuss it with. Everyone wants to share things with others that they enjoy :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
There really isn't a stupid question. But what frustrates me is when people ask a question and we can't answer it without more information... and then they get mad because we asked for more information and are like "why do you need to know all this, just answer my question"

That you make a great aquarium, but every time you add too it your afraid of whats going to attack you.
(Dam Clown Fish) They got nasty little teeth that they like to use on me when the attack.

Testing for niTRATE using Api test kit. Why so much shaking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Testing for niTRATE using Api test kit. Why so much shaking.

+1 I should test for nitrates more often but I hate to sooo much...

How about this one:

Filter companies telling people to change their filter media MONTHLY for no reason other than to increase sales.

I get angry just thinking about how many fish this practice has killed.

How about this one:

Filter companies telling people to change their filter media MONTHLY for no reason other than to increase sales.

I get angry just thinking about how many fish this practice has killed.

I know. Right.?

How about this one: Filter companies telling people to change their filter media MONTHLY for no reason other than to increase sales. I get angry just thinking about how many fish this practice has killed.
With my marine land media I had no choice but to listen, the thing totally fell apart when I swished it around in a bucket! Very annoying..

My most annoying and disappointing thing is the snake oil and false claims aquarium companies make about their products. Also the things they DON'T tell you. They need to be held to the same laws as consumer goods are. We've all wasted money on some of the junk. OS.

Yeah like how they say "change filter pads every month" I think that it is the biggest scam for beginner aquarists.

Back
Top Bottom