Most peaceful fish for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beepboop

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got back into keeping fish. I only have room for a 10 gallon now. I tried white cloud minnows, they were aggressive, and then zebra danios. They are far too aggressive and chase each other constantly.

So, what are the most peaceful fish I can get for a 10 gallon? I'm looking for something that is completely non-aggressive 100% of the time and preferably colorful. I was thinking of six neon tetras and a dwarf gourami. I've had dwarf gouramis before and they were peaceful (as long as not with other gouramis).

Before you throw out suggestions, let me specify which fish I've kept before that I won't consider:

Guppies: peaceful yes, but they spend all of their time at the surface. I want fish that do more.

Platies: like guppies, spend all their time at the top.

Rosy Red minnows: I had them in a goldfish tank I had a long time ago. They spent all day every day swimming up and down the sides of the tank, even with plants along the sides.

All cichlids: they're always aggressive and get too big anyway.

Goldfish: I love them, but they'll get too big for a 10 gallon.

Bottom feeders: They're cute, but I don't want to mess with different food types, algae wafers, etc. They also aren't very colorful and wouldn't be very visible on my black sand.

Obviously, any fish by itself would be fine (like a betta or a paradise fish), but I'd like at least three fish in the tank.

I'm looking for people that can speak from experience.

Thanks.

I don't have any suggestions, but about the zebra danios. They aren't being aggressive when they chase each other, that's just what danios do. They also have a twenty gallon minimum if you want them to THRIVE. They are schooling fish that need six or more of their own kind, or they will be aggressive.

Also, bettas are wonderful fish. They have such great personality and with a divider you could have two males in one tank.

Sparkling gouramis (Trichopsis pumila) are a great addition to a 10 gallon IME. You could keep 3 in there, and then add a school of "nano fish" like celestial pearl danios or Boraras spp.

Agreed on the dwarf. I just got my first one and it is amazingly peaceful. I also have a male swordtail that is peaceful and all over the place. He likes to follow all the other fish around.

I like tetras, a school of 5, especially serpe tetras in my 10g I have them housed with a betta and some cories. I do have a larger tank for the future for the cories and wouldn't suggest them unless you do too. I also have some glofish in there. They all get along very well.

I ended up getting a Dwarf Gourami (blue), a lyretail Molly (yellow), and a platy (white and red with a mickey mouse head on his tail). They are so active, colorful, and peaceful.

I've seen mollies in person that were easily 5 inches. I would not recommend them for any tank smaller than 29 gallons. JMHO.

you dont need many guoramis, o.p. or otherwise. Their are so many other peaceful fish that are better in a SMALL TANK.

Like sparkling gouramis, as I mentioned.

5 harlequin rasboras or 5 cardinal tetras would be pretty then maybe some panda corys....or any little guys like ottos.....they are soo cute :)

IMO panda's get too big for a 10 gal. The only cory I would put in a tank that size is corydoras hasbrosus or one of the other dwarfs that is less than 1". Boraras Brigittae aka mosquito rasbora would be a nice choice as well because they are so tiny you can actually fit a proper school size in a 10 gal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom