Mouth brooders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before I start, I want to say that the main reason I'd like to get into mouth brooders is because all my attempts at keeping wild/mouth brooding bettas has failed miserably because they love to jump and always find a way to get through my saran wrapped lids. I also am well aware that I'll need to research this better myself before I get into it really well, but was hoping you all could help me figure out if it'll even work here before getting too deep into it all.

My main question is, are there any colorful species that'd fit into either a 20L or 29? I could as big as a 50 at the moment, but I'd like to start small so I can decide if I'd really like to devote more space into them.

If so, would I have to go with only a pair/trio, or could I do pairs of different species?

Are there any "beginner" type species? -- Not that I'm a beginner, I know what I'm doing, just don't have much experience with anything other than rams, convicts, and apistos.

What species would you recommend?

Best décor? Could I do planted, or would I need a rocky set up?

Umm, anything else you can think of to help would be great!

Ruby green haplochromis are maternal mouth brooders that reach around 3 inches in length

I think the 50 would provide a good breeding tank. I know it's a bit big but it could be worth it.

It seems like Egyptian mouthbrooders aren't very common/hard to find. I searched. on aquabid under both the common and scientific name and came up with no results. Then did a quick google search and didn't find any places that sold them.
Are they really that uncommon, or are they just not for sale right now?

I'd like to use a 50 eventually, but right now my fish room is pretty full and I would rather so smaller tanks in my left over spaces rather than another larger one. I need to get rid of some existing stock, but it seems like right now nothing I have is very popular besides the rams and MTS, not even my calico BN's are selling lol

What about a pair of Christmas fulus? I read that a group should have a 55, but since they only grow to around 4.5-5" my assumption is that just a pair/trio could do okay in a 29-50?

Sorry if that is a stupid assumption lol like mentioned earlier, I don't know much about any cichlids besides apistos so I had to ask.

Well, I've never seen them on any sale site before, so I figure they'd cost quite a bit.

I don't want to spend too much on something I don't know will work for me

Back
Top Bottom