Moving 5 Gallon Tank/3 Hr Road Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghillie115

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm currently at college and I have a 5.5 gal with 3 fancy guppies, a juvenile bristle-nose pleco, and some anubias and java moss. I will be going home for the summer soon, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to transport it with the fish in place. My plan is to keep the tank full with water and to cover the tank top with cardboard rapped in plastic wrap to prevent water from splashing out, and then poke holes through the top to allow for air exchange. I brought it up before with a betta and plants, but the tank was drained.

Well I never transported but I believe its good to put fish in bags. Tank with full water you may have frequent water splashes on road. Maybe someone can guide you better.

Container for most of the water.
Some water and fish in a bucket cover bucket hole with tin foil pressed in a few inches. (Do this with my larger fish purchases/transports, or with fish that have sharp spines) keep bucket in footwell on old newspaper, pack it to stop it tipping. (Helpful because you can hear fluid splash, so you know to ease back a bit!

Only real issue is acceleration/deceleration, as if you were driving on ice plus a bit. (So 10 time stopping distance plus a bit, same for throttle, no lead foot!

Plants in a bag. Substrate leave in Tank.

Or a cool box. They work great! Did have one, lost in the mists of time.....

Glass tank full is a bad idea, one bump and it's game over.

Edit, you could leave plants substrate in the tank and cover tight with cling film. Then it's just a question of the fish.
Half a bucket of water goes a long way in 5.5g. You may not need to transport old water? You'll want at least half a tanks worth if you can?

Back
Top Bottom