Moving angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently have two angle fish in a 20g tall and am moving them into a 40g. My question is this. I am adding a light which they never use to have and also changing the substrate from standard gravel to sand. Do you think my fish will be ok with going from never having a light to having on? Also I was wondering if I could add any other fish to my tank and if so any suggestions. My angels are a bit aggressive and worry about fights. Help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

The light might freak them out at first, but they should be fine. There are lots of other fish that do well with angels, but you say these are pretty aggressive ones, which might limit the list somewhat.

I have two small fish in there now with them. I don't know what they are they look identical to a worm. They are fun to watch and my angles don't bother them.'they have killed other angels and two gouramis so I'm cautious about what I can put in with them. They picked only Pleco for a while but then finally left him alone. He is now in my 55 tank because he is growing fast.

I have two small fish in there now with them. I don't know what they are they look identical to a worm. They are fun to watch and my angles don't bother them.'they have killed other angels and two gouramis so I'm cautious about what I can put in with them. They picked only Pleco for a while but then finally left him alone. He is now in my 55 tank because he is growing fast.
Are your wormy fish kuhli loaches by any chance? There are some options for tankmates. Did you put the angels in the 40 already? Just curious because it would minimize aggression to add them into a community last. But, no worries if it has been done. You are right to keep an eye on them because angels can certainly be testy. :) There should be fewer aggression issues in the 40 gallon because it has more space so they can set up a proper territory. Honestly, most any tetra over 2 inches ( except serpae tetras) should be a decent tankmate for them. Schooling tetras are fast enough to avoid the angel's wrath, os the angels usually give up chasing them. Also, angels care a lot more about each other than about other fish. A school of 6 to 8 corys would also be a good addition and they stay on the bottom so the angels shouldn't bother them. Add plants and decorations for the other fish to hide in.
If you ever feel that the angels are getting too territorial, turn off the lights and re-arrange all the plants/decor. That can help.:)

Back
Top Bottom