Moving/combining tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 5 gal tank with two black skirt tets, two pepper Cory cats, a female beta and a snail. I also have a 10 gal with a female beta, blue gourami, pleco, and a dwarf frog. I will be moving into a new house soon, and I wanted to combine the two tanks into one larger tank to use as a center piece in my living room. In order to give them enough space, but also keep it low enough so the frog can get to the surface, I was going to go with a 29-55 gal long with a stand. As far as the moving goes, I was going to keep the betas and the gourami separate, but combine the Cory's, frog, snail, pleco and tets in a big bucket with an air pump. It's only a 25 mile/ 30 minute move. I plan to set the tank up, using some old water and media while the paint dried on the accent wall, then making a special trip for just the fish. Being that I will be moving into a new house upon its completion from the builder, I won't exactly have time to move in a new tank and set it up to cycle for weeks before the move on the time line I am on. I currently have two whisper filters, I was going to install them both in the larger tank at first to allow it to cycle, and introduce the new filter and remove the two smaller ones once the new filter is established. I was considering also planting live plants, but not sure where to begin on that one. Any advice would be appreciated, as I am not exactly willing to part with my fishes, the sentiment far out weights the value in currency$$$!

You can skip saving and transporting the old water to the new site. All of the bacteria is housed in the filter. Other than that it sounds like a good plan.

Well what's the best way to transport the filter media? Just in a bag of old tank water to keep it wet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom