Moving fish tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to move towards the end of the month and need a little advice moving my 10, 15 and 25 gal. tanks. As of now I am looking to wait until the very end to move them oince all else is settled in the new apartment. I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to do so successfully with as little strain on my inhabitants (including plants) as possible?

How far are you moving? What we did was buy several LARGE containers and filled them with tank water. Then scooped out the sand into another container (not all of it, but most). The fish were bagged up in those bags that you get from the lfs. I put the filtration unit pads in tank water (depending on how far you have to go) and when we finished setting the tank up we dumped back in the sand, then water and started acclimating the fish as we were putting the plants and filtration unit back in place. This worked great and it wasn't anymore stress than when you bring them home from the lfs. Just be as prepared as you can be (in regards to having the space cleared for the tank). I left the heaters and maxi jets attached to the tank. That way I didn't have to re-do it at the new apt.

We are a military family and move often, lol, so this is one topic I can discuss with some experience.
Since it sounds as though your move will be a relatively short distance one I would do the following:
*move everything else first and save the tanks for a time when you can concentrate SOLELY on moving and re-setting them
*obtain either large storage tubs or, better still, coolers (coolers are insulated so there is less risk/worry of temperature changes). Non-seethrough is better as the dark interior is less stressful for the fish. Also, an advantage over buckets, they are lidded so you can reduce the spillage during the transport :wink:
Keep weight in mind when selecting containers - bigger isn't necessarily better as bigger will also be HEAVIER with water/fish in it and you may find yourself unable to lift/move the container when the time comes.
*fill each container approx 1/3 full with water from your tank - this leaves ample air space for short moves with the lid in place during the driving/carrying time.
*place the fish, plants and filter materials (if applicable/practical) in the container/s (if you are moving lots of fish and plants you may want to separate the two as the fish will likely be quite panicky and could damage the plants with their swiming about)
*drain the tanks (some people suggest moving them w/water as long as it isn't "much" -ie less than 1/4 - but it isn't worth the risk of seam strain to me. Using additional containers will allow you to preserve as much original tank water as possible - minimizing the amount of "new" water you have to use to fill tanks at the new location. Aim for a minimum of 50% old tank water - more is better.
*move all tanks, equipment, fish etc to the new location (use appropriate climate control in the vehicle and new location to minimize temp fluctuations)
*set tanks back up, fill at least 1/2 w/old tank water/new water ...... basically to a point that will be where you will finish filling with the water the fish are in
*make sure all equipment is working - let temp stabilize, etc - also monitor tanks for any leakage
*transfer fish -- I find it best to keep the tank light off for a bit (usually we are in the evening hours at this point anyway so I leave them off for the night) to allow everyone to just have some "quiet" time to re-adjust

One last tip/note -- if you will be moving the tank with any gravel/substrate in them you can eliminate the strain on the bottom glass by using a board under the tank and lifting/carrying by the board as opposed to actually lifting/carrying by the tank itself :wink: Just be sure that as you are carrying it you keep it level and don't let the tank slide off

Thanks much for the advice! I will let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom