Moving house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any tits on moving my tank?

I am moving house in the next couple of weeks and not to sure what's the best way to move it. It's only about ten minutes down the road so not going to take to long to move them.
I just don't want to stress them out to much.
It's a 125ltr tank been set up for 5 months now.
If anyone can help that would be great thanks.

Oh autocorrect is not your friend today. Lmao!

Big tubs, save as much water as you can, put the fish in one or more, put your plants, decorations, substrate etc in others, move your tank first and set it up, refill and bingo. That makes it sound easy but I know it'll be quite a job. Just make sure you have a plan so you don't find yourself a step ahead and complicate matters for yourself!

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any tits on moving my tank?

I am moving house in the next couple of weeks and not to sure what's the best way to move it. It's only about ten minutes down the road so not going to take to long to move them.
I just don't want to stress them out to much.
It's a 125ltr tank been set up for 5 months now.
If anyone can help that would be great thanks.

5 mouth is not good iv just moved my self I got 2 80l buckets all fillers rocks fish and sand in split of the two with heater and a running pump the bacteria is the most important thing to keep alive good luck

Don't worry about saving the water, it holds nothing your tank needs in order to be healthy. Just take the fish out and put them in a bucket. Make sure you keep the filter media from your current filter wet. When you get to the new place set the tank up with dechlorinated water and let it run without any fish in it for about an hour so you know all the new water passed throw the filter. Your filter has all the bacteria you need. Just make sure you make it as fast but gentle of a process as you can. I would make time so that it is the only thing you and maybe a helper will be doing for the time. Leaving a fish in a bucket with no heater, filter, or oxygen exchange is fine for at least 3 hours, so with your short trip you should be fine.

Ok cool thanks guys, it shouldn't be to bad then, the problem is I have some Khuli loach and they hide under the filter that is stuck to the glass, it shouldn't be to bad if I leave some water in the bottom if the tank to make sure those guys are ok should it?

If you want, you could just empty 80% of the water, and carry the whole tank. No buckets needed.

Well I moved them on Sunday and all seem good with the tank up to now, they are all swimming about fine and eating so that will be a good sign, thanks for your help

I've just moved my self.

To start let me make it clear, my tanks are healthy, reasonably algee free and heavily planted.

I was lucky enough to have extra tanks and a 2 weeks access to the new place before I moved in. That said, What I did was this.

Since I run dual filters on my 2 tanks 200L (55G) I setup with eco-complete, used a few large scopes of gravel from the old tank in the new one. Moved one of the filters from the old tank to the new one (Media dirt and all... DO NOT CLEAN IT OUT!!!) My old heater (put the spare in tank with the fish.) along with a number of plants. (Some new some old) Then just let it run, after a week I was able to move fish.

If you can't do that, I agree on the drain the tank down and move it as wet as you can. That will be the 100% best way to do it if you don't have time to do a dual tank move.

best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom