Moving my mbunas from 90 to 125 gallon - advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today is the big day! My African cichlids are moving on up! From a 90 to a 125. I need advice to make sure I do this right with the least amount of impact and stress to the fish.

First things first, I plan to just move my canister filter from the one tank to the other, so it should be instantly cycled correct?

I'm also moving my sand substrate over, any advice on best way to do it or just grab handfuls? And the sand has MTS snails in it, any special precautions? I'm going to add some new sand in, since I'm going from a 4' to a 6'......just clean it like I first did it ?

And finally, the fish! Any suggestions? I was thinking just lower the 90 real low and remove all decorations, then net them and move them over?

CraigMac said:
Today is the big day! My African cichlids are moving on up! From a 90 to a 125. I need advice to make sure I do this right with the least amount of impact and stress to the fish.

First things first, I plan to just move my canister filter from the one tank to the other, so it should be instantly cycled correct?

I'm also moving my sand substrate over, any advice on best way to do it or just grab handfuls? And the sand has MTS snails in it, any special precautions? I'm going to add some new sand in, since I'm going from a 4' to a 6'......just clean it like I first did it ?

And finally, the fish! Any suggestions? I was thinking just lower the 90 real low and remove all decorations, then net them and move them over?

Good luck! They'll be happy :)

I've found that a dust pan is good for scooping sand ;)

The established filter and substrate should be good to instantly cycle the new tank since your Bio load isn't changing.

If it were me, I'd consider bucketing the fishes. Sometimes that sand can take a little while to settle.

Can't wait to see!

Lower the water level low to catch the fish. I found for sand the best and quickest thing is a shop vac which sucks up water and sand then simply scoop into your new tank from the canister, makes this a 10 minute job and sucks every grain of sand out of the old tank too.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Lower the water level low to catch the fish. I found for sand the best and quickest thing is a shop vac which sucks up water and sand then simply scoop into your new tank from the cansiter, makes this a 10 minute job and sucks every grain of sand out of the old tank too.

Wow hukit! That's an awesome idea

Do I need to take any precautions with the snails?

And as far as setting up the new tank, I have several empty smaller tanks in the garage. Would I be better off putting all the fish into a 20 or 55 gallon and wait for most of the sand etc to settle or just move them right over?

HUKIT said:
I found for sand the best and quickest thing is a shop vac which sucks up water and sand then simply scoop into your new tank from the canister, makes this a 10 minute job and sucks every grain of sand out of the old tank too.

Perhaps a dumb clarification question: I assume you mean a brand-new or thoroughly cleaned shop vac, right?

CraigMac said:
Do I need to take any precautions with the snails?

And as far as setting up the new tank, I have several empty smaller tanks in the garage. Would I be better off putting all the fish into a 20 or 55 gallon and wait for most of the sand etc to settle or just move them right over?

That's what I would do. Since you wont be running your filter on the new tank until the sand settles, I would put the filter on their holding tank. When I did my sand, it took a good three days for the tank to clear. I'd also just drain the existing tank straight into the holding tank. I would think this would be less stressful than putting them straight in the new tank while its still murky. Just my theory though!

christine2012 said:
That's what I would do. Since you wont be running your filter on the new tank until the sand settles, I would put the filter on their holding tank. When I did my sand, it took a good three days for the tank to clear. I'd also just drain the existing tank straight into the holding tank. I would think this would be less stressful than putting them straight in the new tank while its still murky. Just my theory though!

As for the snails, I wouldn't try the shop vac lol. But in any other case I'd definitely try hukits idea.

Woops! Sorry for the double post

I would definitely move the fish to either buckets or another tank for the time being. It's going to take quite a bit of time to transition everything to the new tank along with letting the sand settle. Give it about an hour until you turn your filter just to be safe.

How long can they stay in a temp tank without a filter? If I just hook up an airstone will that keep them good for a couple hours?

Also, if they are crammed into buckets or a smaller tank (20gallon) for a few hours, will they start attacking each other since it'll be such close quarters?

I just got another 150g and moved the mbunas that were in a 90 gallon to the 150. This is what I did.

1) line up three 30 gallon totes close to the tank but not in way and remove plumping lights filters heaters from the tank
2) drain water from tank into totes starting with the furthest obviously leave a few inches in the tank
3) pull out rocks and decor and place them into 2 of the filled totes
4) pull out fish but only put them into the 2 totes you put the decorations in
5) drain remaining water into tote without fish
6) scoop out sand using a new dust pan or dog food scoop
7) remove old tank and replace with new
8) add sand
9) add water from the water only tote
10) replace all decorations
11) put in fish
12) add the rest on the water from the totes then fill the rest of the tank with pretreated water
13) put filters heaters lights back in place
14) add a chemical to help repair damage to slim coat and keep lights turned off for a little bit to help them calm down I also added a chemical that clings to funky floating stuff and allows your filter to pick it up quickly
15) once your new tank is looking good take pictures and share them with the only people who understand your addiction and why you would want a 6 foot long tank in your house

Putting the decorations in the totes with them helps keep the drama down and having 2 large totes to put them in helps alot. I know my fish very well. I would never put my WC cynotilapia afra hara who tends to be a bully in with a fish who couldn't defend itself.

*****VERY IMPORTANT*****
if you have a female holding she gets her own bucket

Not really doing twice. The problem is I had to get the 90 out today but. Didn't have a stand yet for the 125. So I built the temporary stand and am going to take my time on a good finished stand. When the final stand is done I'm just going to do a large water change and move the tank over to the final stand, at least that's the plan!

HUKIT said:
Lower the water level low to catch the fish. I found for sand the best and quickest thing is a shop vac which sucks up water and sand then simply scoop into your new tank from the canister, makes this a 10 minute job and sucks every grain of sand out of the old tank too.

Make sure you clean the shop vac really good. If yours is like mine, some of the stuff I have had to vacuum up I wouldn't want my fish to come into contact with.

Back
Top Bottom