Moving Small Fishtanks, and Water Hardness...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayonnaise

Aquarium Advice Regular
Next week I have to move home from College.

It's only 20 minutes away, and my tank is only 2 gallons, so I'm thinking of just taking out half the water and transporting the fish in the tank, on the floor between my legs with the lid on. We'll be making a special trip for the fish a few days before we bring home the rest of my stuff, so I'm gonna have to trust my family to look after him for a few days. That doesn't bother me cause my father's a real fish person, had a betta named Herman for 3 years in college, a saltwater tank when I was really little (had to give it up because he didn't have tie time for it with two small kids,) and then helped my brother and I take care of our tanks when we were 5 and 7 respectively. (Which was all good, except for that regretable attempt to cycle with neon tetras.) So I know I can trust him.

What wories me is that the city where I'm going to college and the town where I live, 20 minutes up the highway are on different water systems. I know my dog gets stomach troubles from water other than the water from our town, so I'm worrited that the fish might have even more trouble making the transition. Also here at the college I know the water is pretty hard, I can see the calcium build ups around the faucet... but at home we have a water softener, so the water herdness will be different too.

Does water ager make all water the same or am I gonna have to worry about this? And is it ok to transport one Beta in a half full 2 gallon, or should I put him back in his cup from the store for the trip? (I kept it in case of emergancy tank crack or sommat.)

8^)

As long as it isn't a glass tank, it should be fine, what you should do is bring a few gallons of your old water with you and slowly transition him to the new water over a week or so.

In my opinion you would be perfectly fine transferring him in a half filled 2 gallon tank. I have moved my fish many times (also a college student) in a 1/4 filled 10 gallon tank.

As far as your water problems, I would recommend going to the store and buying 2, one gallon jugs of r/o or distilled drinking water. Empty 1 out, and put the 1 gallon that you are taking out of your tank into it. Once you get home, use that water to fill the tank back up. Then use the unopened gallon of r/o or distilled water to top off any water you may need due to it spilling in the car. :) This will give you time to test the water at home, and slowly acclimate the fish.

Hope that helps, and I hope I wasn't too late! This post is a couple days old.

-brent

Ok... Moving Today.

One Last Question... Morning Feeding is an hour and a half away. When you plan to move fish do you feed them that day? Is it better for them to move on a full or an empty stomach? I don't want the poor dear to get Seasick or sommat...

Thank you!!!

8^)

Great question!!! Don't feed them today!!! They'll produce less waste and have a cleaner environment for the trip.

Agreed--no food for the day is fine. The betta may also not want to eat tonight after the "long trip."

If the water really is radically different he may go off his feed a couple days... but as long as he doesn't lose his color of look sick, I wouldn't sweat it...all other advice has already been given....^_^ (bring water to acclimate switch adn don't feed)

IMHO, bettas are some of the toughest fish around. He'll be fine adjusting to the new water as long as you watch out for chlorine or chloramine

Back
Top Bottom