Moving substrate (different layers) & heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get a 55 gallon and move my whole set up over there. I'll have to get more substrate as right now I have a 26 bow and it won't be enough. I have 20# of eco-complete and 25# of small pebble gravel that I want to move over to the 55 gal when I get it. Do I have to separate the different gravels by hand? Can I mix them? I don't really want to do that, but I'm afraid it's going to be a PITButt to try and separate them. Will they possible maybe almost separate on their own? Yeah, right. That'd be too easy. TIA!

2nd ? - do I need an under gravel heater for the substrate? Benefits? Drawbacks? I really don't want one if I don't need one. TIA!

I have heard a lot of really good things about using an undergravel substrate heater. Supposedly, in the long run, it will make for a healthy tank, and delay old tank syndrome almost indefinitely. If I setup a larger tank in the future, I would definitely add it. It is inexpensive, and the benefits, though not completely proven, seem to make it worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom