Moving Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TEC5154

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a piece of Xenia about six months back. It completely moved from the rock it came with to another rock in my tank. Now, it has split into two separate plants on the same rock. I know all this is normal. I was told this will happen. I also know that you can move a piece of Xenia and I want to move the small piece to another rock on the other side of the tank. The guy at the LFS told me that you just take a razor blade and slice it as close to the rock as possible. Then he said just pick it up, put it where you want, and rubber band it to another rock. Just how exactly would you rubber band a piece of Xenia to a rock? I'm not saying he was wrong, I guess I just need a more in depth explaination. Thank you so much for your help!

I usually just cut mine and then stick a toothpick through it onto another piece of rock.. Alot easier than messing around with the rubberbands. After the Xenia attaches itself, you just pull out the toothpick and your done.. Simple. HTH

The rubber banding is done on a small piece of liverock rubble, not a large piece of rock. That may be what is confusing to you.

Well, I just moved it. Cut it as close to the base as possible (it didn't come off as easily as I thought it would). Then I stuck a toothpick through the center of it and stuck it to a rock. It now looks a lot smaller than it did when it was open! I hope I didn't kill it. How long until it starts to look "healthy" again? Will the plant come up when I pull the toothpick out of it? How long until I take the toothpick out? I know if someone cut me at the base and stuck something through me, living would be difficult. What do you think? Anything else I should do? Thanks!

it sometimes takes a day or two to recover, make sure it is in an area with good flow. I never take the toothpick out.

Back
Top Bottom