Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a dilemma. I'll be moving within the next 2 months. I currently have a 55 gallon tropical set up. I also have a 5 gallon "hospital tank" with just 3 large clumps of java moss and some stray unidentifiable snails and RCS.

I'm just wanting some advice/help with the best way to move my tank without upsetting my guys too much. My stock consists of green swordtails, sunset platies, 2 Neon Tetras, 1 Gold Dust Molly, 1 Spotted Cory( im trying to get her some friends), and probably around 50 RCS( thats a guess they've been breeding pretty well). Also I live in Connecticut so the weather is cold.

Thanks AA any feedback is appreciated!!!!! ^___^

How far are you moving? The way I have always moved is go to home depot and buy many of the homer paint buckets. Put most of the gravel or substrate in one of them and fill it up with water an the filter media to keep the BB alive. Then spread the rest if the gravel out in the other buckets and put all your fish in the buckets.

How far away are you moving? If its really cold and the trip is gonna be long or you anticipate them out if the tank I would use a cooler (like where you keep beer and sodas). They are insulated and will keep the temps warm for longer than buckets.. If its a really really long move. Get an inverter (plugs into cigarette plug in your car and allows you to use regular house hold plugs) to power a heater and air bubbler.

Thankfully I'm not moving too far away. Maybe 10-15 minutes away.

Since I'll be removing the substrate, I was contemplating switching to a darker substrate. Knowing that the substrate also houses BB, how much impact would this have on my tank on re set up?

I run 2 HOB's by the way.

Save as much water as you can...30-50% and the filter media and you should be ok with the new substrate.

Back
Top Bottom