Mushroom not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris-Nicol

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a mushroom coral on a piece of live rock with three other mushrooms that is not opening! It never opened yesterday and it's the same today! The other 3 look fine! Anyone got any clue as to why this would happen?

Water parameters? Was it ever open? Placement in current? What kind of lighting? Has anything changed since it last looked okay?
If it's new, they sometimes take a while to adjust. Try different location if it doesn't open as they are a bit sensitive to current. I have hundreds of mushrooms and if they aren't fully deployed, I run to the test kits to see what went wrong.

It's been in probably for a couple of months now and it did open before. My parameters are all ok just nitrates are about 15ppm I have two T5 bulbs (I think) the other mushrooms (same type and on the same rock) are fine and are fully open! It does open a little bit! I also have other mushrooms, a Toadstool mushroom and some polyps and they look fine as well

Chris-Nicol said:
It's been in probably for a couple of months now and it did open before. My parameters are all ok just nitrates are about 15ppm I have two T5 bulbs (I think) the other mushrooms (same type and on the same rock) are fine and are fully open! It does open a little bit! I also have other mushrooms, a Toadstool mushroom and some polyps and they look fine as well

You might do a partial water change and see if it improves. Can't hurt.

I will do on Wednesday. That's the day I do my weekly pwc. I usually change about 15-20% every week! Is it heard of them staying closed for a day or two?

It could be something as simple as a fish knocking into them or some gravel being dropped on them etc. I myself am waiting now almost two days for a small crop of mushrooms to open up to how they were before, after re-locating them in the tank. Sit it out another day and see what happens. They have a habit of moving off round the tank themselves if they're not happy so I wouldn't worry too much!

Back
Top Bottom